eagle landing

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

squirl033

Super Moderator
Staff member
went out with a friend of mine this afternoon, we went to Possession Beach park on Whidbey Island. small place, nice, quiet stretch of beach. we were just sitting on a log swapping stories when an eagle flew across the sound toward us, and landed on top of some pilings maybe 25 yards away. it sat there for easily 30 minutes, giving us ample opportunities to take lots of shots! here are some of the 2 dozen or so i got... most of which are either not cropped, or are only cropped 20% or so, still leaving 10-12Mp images that will make excellent prints...

here are some shots of the eagle coming in.... i'll put up some of the "portrait shots" in a second post

IMG_8438cropsm_zps7b0f2c69.jpg

IMG_8439cropsm_zps9a3af4cb.jpg

IMG_8440cropsm_zpsa591302b.jpg

IMG_8449sn_zps388c8e8a.jpg

IMG_8451cropsm_zpsdaee8be4.jpg

the second batch of eagle shots from Possession Beach on Monday... he roosted on the pilings for perhaps 30 minutes, while my buddy and i snapped away. 7D, 100-400, various settings. the first two are straight from the camera except for resizing. the second two have had some tweaks.

IMG_8473cropsm_zps98c5a396.jpg

IMG_8469cropsm_zps59718c27.jpg

this one is cropped to a 2:1 ratio for a 10x20 print...

IMG_8518crop21PS_filteredsn_zps1eebc9a0.jpg

this is probably my favorite of the lot... i feel a 12x18 framed print coming on... :)

TheChallengesm_zpsc0500ef5.jpg

Good shots. Taking close-ups of eagles on a sunny day is harder than most people might think. Balancing the exposure so that the detail of the dark body feathers is revealed without blowing out the white head and tail feathers is very tricky.

Last edited:
Excellent shots....one and all!

thanks, Joe... i was pretty jazzed about getting this opportunity. best of all, the eagle came to me! i didn't have to hunt for it or anything... it just flew in across the bay, landed on the pilings, and sat there, almost like it wanted to be photographed!

Good shots. Taking close-ups of eagles on a sunny day is harder than most people might think. Balancing the exposure so that details of the dark body feathers is revealed without blowing out the white head and tail feathers is very tricky.

thanks, Bill. yeah, it can definitely be a bit difficult to keep the whites under control, especially in bright sun!

Outstanding series!

thanks, Debbie!

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back