Eagles in Western Washington?

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

I like a little blur from time to time. It's refreshing and gives a feeling of movement.

Snowy and wet up here so far. Saw one eagle roosting and two flying over the river, too far away to get anything good though.

Fingers crossed for the river trip tomorrow!

Ted, everything I've heard says the river trips are good. Dress VERY warm though, it's cold on the water. Lots of layers would be good. I saw some of the boats were heated now, not sure how well that works though.

The Rockport bridge was the best location I found, I got some shots of eagles in the water there. Other spots were up by the hatchery, and the milepost 101 rest area. Another spot I found was a creek just upriver of Marblemount. None of these areas is a secret, they're pretty much the standard locations.

Look for sandbars, that's where the fish carcasses wash up, and that's what the birds are looking for. Almost every bird I saw was near a sandbar (actually they're more like "gravel bars" but you get the idea...)

I have to figure out where they are roosting in Portland. One just flew over me when I was on the freeway. Anybody down my way hear of any eagle concentrations? That makes the second close encounter in two weeks.

Well, the weather was much better today and we had a pretty successful trip down the river. Still going through the files, but grabbed a couple to share.

Nice looking shots, I really like it that you saw them in the snow! So, you saw quite a few from the boat?

Did you find any from the shore? Or is the float trip pretty much the only good option?

Well, from what the guide said, the counts are really down this year, and we're near the end of the season, but we saw somewhere between 60 and 70 in the 8-10 miles of the trip.

Saw a couple from the shore - one near the fish hatchery and some near the bridge in Rockport on Saturday. Saturday wasn't really a fair comparison though, considering the heavy, wet snow and all the wind. Today was pretty much perfect up there - clear skies, low wind and about 30 degrees. The heated boat was great - almost didn't need a jacket!

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back