faerie-land forest

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

squirl033

Super Moderator
Staff member
a woodland stream... 5d, 17-35 @ 18mm, 1.3 sec @ f/14, with a touch of Orton to add a somewhat mysterious, "fantasy" feel...

Foreststream.jpg

I REALLY have to try an Orton (filter? Action?) out....that is just stunning, inviting and charming all at once.

Good image Rocky, but IMO and on my monitor, it looks really green (part of your post process? Or Orton filter.)

It definitely has a green tint to it, possibly intentional.

It's also a touch dark in the lower right on my screen, but I was guessing that was intentional to contrast with the bright spot in the upper center.

It's a really nice image, and I like the Orton effect on this one. I also really like the golden glow of the light area, very cool.

thanks, Leia!

Good image Rocky, but IMO and on my monitor, it looks really green (part of your post process? Or Orton filter.)

Shadow, part of it's the Orton, but i have to say a lot of it is due to the quality of the light itself. that deep in the woods, the light filters through so much green that everything seems to have a slight greenish cast, and the camera picks up on that. if i really wanted to, i could probably correct it, at least in the foreground, but frankly, it's more trouble than it's worth...

It definitely has a green tint to it, possibly intentional.

It's also a touch dark in the lower right on my screen, but I was guessing that was intentional to contrast with the bright spot in the upper center.

It's a really nice image, and I like the Orton effect on this one.

thanks, Bob. yep, the darkening in the foreground was partly the result of the Orton processing, and partly due to the overall dim light and intentionally underexposed image.

thanks, Leia!

Shadow, part of it's the Orton, but i have to say a lot of it is due to the quality of the light itself. that deep in the woods, the light filters through so much green that everything seems to have a slight greenish cast, and the camera picks up on that. if i really wanted to, i could probably correct it, at least in the foreground, but frankly, it's more trouble than it's worth...

Rocky, the part that bothers me is the water it should be white in the areas it is running over the rocks IMO, and having grown up almost my entire life in western Or/Wa I understand filtered light. :D

Do you mind if I adjust the colors a bit? And repost what I think is a bit closer on my monitor?

Last edited:
Lovely. Having been in the forest in places like this, I can close my eyes and imagine myself there listening to the sounds of the stream and the still of the air. Nicely done.

About the green cast. I've had that in photos when there is just so much green. All the light reflecting of the leaves casts a green everywhere. Very difficult to get out, it either changes the look of the whole image or if you adjust a single portion of it, it never looks quite right.

I really like this. It lacks some density, which really helps give it that mystical feel, IMO. Very nice!

Max

o612xzm1.png

Here is what I got Rocky, something about being saved as a .bmp was making things odd when working with it.

I adjusted levels, then a hue saturation and then resaved it.

well, it's definitely darker, but aside from that, i'm not sure there's a whole lot of difference... no offense, but i like the original better. then again, when i processed the original, i had a definite "feel" in mind, not necessarily a completely realistic representation... ;)

From my monitor there is a definite difference between the two versions. I prefer the first version because is is brighter and I can see the detail in the foreground better. Also, and it may be a color shift on my monitor, the whiter areas of the stream have a purplish cast to it, which seems more unnatural than the greenish cast of the first.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back