Family Portraits - three of the menagerie

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

Leia

Super Moderator
Staff member
I was bored and threw a black cover over our futon and took some shots of three of our family members.

Sarah - Our old girl that we adopted in February. She has some special needs (being between 8 to 10 years old).
She has hip dysplasia, arthritis, bone spurs on her lower back, and allergies. We love her LOTS!

View attachment 3472

Max - My daughters cat that we have been babysitting since December. I think he will be around a long time.
We call him the 'dog cat' as he eats, sleeps and plays with the dogs. Pretty much ignores the 'real cat' in the house. :)

View attachment 3473

Charlie - We weren't going to adopt another dog (I have to take allergy pills with Sarah) but the shelter had called and
asked us to bring Sarah in and 'just meet him'. We took Sarah in and they played together. Figured since I was already living
on allergy pills (and HEPA air filters in all common rooms!!) what was one more?

View attachment 3474

Animals not shown are another cat (the 'real' cat), two parrots and a gekko. Maybe tomorrow...:p

Open for suggestion and critique....

and yes, it is a shame that the futon sinks in and cuts off the base of the animals from the angle I was at. My bad. NEXT time I use the futon I will try shooting down a little instead of straight across into the cushion.

Last edited:
I rather like the snuggled look on the futon. Of course maybe that just feels like home to me.

When did you get Charlie? LOL . . . I remember "fostering" Wolfie. Bone spurs, arthritis, knee surgery and larcenous behavior I still love him.

Nicely done. I do think that the cat would benefit from a crop at about mid back though. The personality of all do shine through. I do wonder what's on Charlies tongue???

Janice, it is funny that I saw hidden and obstructed where you saw snuggled. I can do snuggled. Charlie came in April. When we adopted Sarah we had told the shelter then (February) to 'please take our name off your list now'. They told us they had. The phone call in April from them was quite a surprise. She said she didn't see anything in our records indicating we requested removed and 'by the way...' she thought this dog fit my dream dog description. She was quite the sales lady. She even used the "Sarah might enjoy a friend! Bring her in too!". It worked. He came home with us that day.

ejones, I will try that, thank you. I was bummed I didn't get the whole cat in the frame (wrong lens at the time) and hadn't thought of moving the crop up. The thing on Charlie's tongue is a black spot. Golden Retrievers are one of the breeds that get black tongues, or spotted tongues. I was tempted to take it out for the sake of the photo as I could see how it would cause a second take and possible confusion.

Here is the REAL cat in our household....eating a bit of catnip picked fresh from the front yard.

Definitely a snapshot, but I do believe it captures his personality quite well.

Sammy is a Maine Coon and he doesn't aggravate my allergies at all. Maine Coons' are really great that way. We have had him several years now.

:D

ejones, I will try that, thank you. I was bummed I didn't get the whole cat in the frame (wrong lens at the time) and hadn't thought of moving the crop up. The thing on Charlie's tongue is a black spot. Golden Retrievers are one of the breeds that get black tongues, or spotted tongues. I was tempted to take it out for the sake of the photo as I could see how it would cause a second take and possible confusion.

In that case I'd leave it, or at the most diminish a tad. Had it been some dirt left over from retrieving something from the neighborhood, (Oh I'm sure he never does that. :) ) the of course it should be removed.

I love the wild look on the face of the cat in the last one.

On that last shot, the one with the wild eyed Sammy, I put him up that site where people caption cat and dog photos.

He isn't given catnip that often (even though we have a 7 foot bush of it out front). But when he does get it, he enjoys rolling in it very much.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back