Febuary Eagles on the West End

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

BrianH

This is the time of year that the Far west end of the Olympic Peninsula is inundated with Bald Eagles. On a 1/2 mile walk from the resort I counted 15 bald eagles from juveniles to large adults.

A few from this morning

aeagle1.gif

aeagle8.gif

aeagle6.gif

Very nice! Is this near Neah Bay then?

Yep I live half way between Neah Bay and Sekiu. The school bus driver gave me the heads up on which beach they were on. She counted 52 eagles yesterday between Sekiu and Neah Bay

wow... great stuff! really like #3... you nailed the focus on that one, which isn't all that easy to do with a bird in flight. i love photographing eagles, but we don't get so many in this area...

Thanks all, the BIF was on the beach chonkin on a big nasty fish carcass and was startled by a dog and flew to me then by. You can see the blood on his beak

aeagle5.gif

another of the series, the sky is a bit noisy

Anyone know where to find migration info etc on the web? I don't feel like driving to the far side of the Peninsula, but there are probably some spots closer to me.

Anyone know where to find migration info etc on the web? I don't feel like driving to the far side of the Peninsula, but there are probably some spots closer to me.

I'm not sure about migration info specifically but Rockport and the entire Upper Skagit, is a good area. It's traditionally winding down by mid-feb though.

Really nice! What size zoom were you using?
My husband and I were going to try to drive up to Skagit this past January to check out the eagles but the weekends zipped past us and we didn't have a chance. I had a feeling the migration might have been dying down by now anyway, but I was also concerned that my zoom wouldn't be big/fast enough to catch eagles from too far of a distance anyway.

Really nice! What size zoom were you using?
My husband and I were going to try to drive up to Skagit this past January to check out the eagles but the weekends zipped past us and we didn't have a chance. I had a feeling the migration might have been dying down by now anyway, but I was also concerned that my zoom wouldn't be big/fast enough to catch eagles from too far of a distance anyway.

I use a 50-500mm sigma F4-6.3 lens. The Sony has in camera stabilization so all lenses act as stabilized. All these shots are hand held.

We have 4 tall pines on the property this morning and each tree has an eagle in them.

bob,

Here's a good starting point if you are looking to head to the upper Skagit. http://skagiteaglewatchers.wordpress.com/

You can also usually find eagles down along the Puyallup River south of Orting along Oroville Road where the county has reclaimed some of the flood plain. I didn't see any along the Carbon above the fish hatchery last week when I was down at my mom and dad's on the river, but I wasn't outside long enough to really check it out.

Im probably the only guy around who cleans cabins with a camera with 500mm lens hanging on the wall :D

:) Ansel Adams said, always carry your camera with you! (a quote I remind myself of often, and then promptly forget when I to go leave the house)

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back