Female Red-Winged Blackbird?

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

Deka

This bird's presence was so unexpected I almost didn't take the shot.
I've seen Green Herons, Pied-billed grebes and coots in the lily pads but this one had me confused.
Why would such a small bird be interested in the lily pads?

7DM2006130WR.jpg

If you look very close, there are bugs on the underside of the lily pad leaves!
Lunch is served. Ha ha ha

CC is welcome.

Deka

Yes, that is a female red-winged blackbird. Go back and photograph the blackbirds chasing away crows.... very entertaining.

This bird's presence was so unexpected I almost didn't take the shot.
I've seen Green Herons, Pied-billed grebes and coots in the lily pads but this one had me confused.
Why would such a small bird be interested in the lily pads?

View attachment 22875

If you look very close, there are bugs on the underside of the lily pad leaves!
Lunch is served. Ha ha ha
CC is welcome.
Deka
I've watched them walk across the lily pads, pausing now and then to lift the edge of a pad to look for bugs or larvae. Seems to be one of their more common foraging techniques.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back