Fire in the Columbia Gorge.

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

JaniceL

Super Moderator
Staff member
If you are familiar with the Columbia Gorge National Scenic area you probably know it is known for epic winds. I headed out today with the intention of grabbing some frozen waterfalls and skipped the usual viewpoints because I did not want to get blown away. At Vista House people were hunkering down and hanging on to their cars. I drove right past that, especially after a woman's stocking cap blew off her head only to be briefly slowed down by my car as I rolled over it. It's someplace over the cliff just west of there :)

It was a bit disappointing when it comes to waterfalls. The ice had not yet formed well and where it had, the mist froze on me and my camera. Even with my "traction devices" on my boots it was pretty much a no win situation. I headed home, stayed off the freeway to avoid the big gusts of wind. Then all of the sudden I glimpsed to the north and the snow covered hills were aflame with the brightest alpenglow I have ever seen. Dang, no place to safely pull over.

I made it to the Vista House just as the glow left the mountains but the sky was epic. One problem, the wind was so powerful I could hear it's icy fingers gripping my cargo box on the top of my car. It wanted it. The main course after that woman's hat. My car was shaking as in an earthquake. I ventured out for that long dreamed for shot of the Vista House silhouetted against the blazing sky. Not to happen, I just could not keep the camera steady, even with the tripod and my car shielding me from the wind. Most certainly gale force winds.

So you will just get a small sample of what I saw today. Sorry, not tack sharp. Nobody more disappointed than me about that. But then, not a bad way to start the new year.

The hills across the river just after they lost their glow.
5314584750_f55ce72af5_b.jpg

Blew my socks off. by Janice L, on Flickr

And that last gasp of luscious light before the sun settled below the horizon. Taken from the safety of my car.

5314584880_bdf50afcf5_b.jpg

Epic sky by Janice L, on Flickr

WOW. Both... stunning shots! Super well done. The depth of field in number 2 is awesome.

Regards,
jealous-o-yerskillz guy :)

...too hard on yourself. The Coburg hills lit up with heavenly light tonight, as well. I couldn't get there in time either :(

C'est la vie...

Still... GREAT SHOTS!

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back