Fire on the Mountain

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

JaniceL

Super Moderator
Staff member
The Dollar Lake fire on Mount Hood has put a damper on a lot of peoples plans for the Labor Day Weekend. I had to work today and found myself at the mouth of the Columbia Gorge. Taking advantage I thought I'd bring my camera and seek out a spot for a sunset. Well, the viewpoint at the Vista House nearly blew my socks off. So I went to Mitchell Point and found this wind free vista.

6111180875_9daea31e9b_b.jpg

I moved my tripod and the color was even more intense.
6111715540_5e73439864_b.jpg

That was the end of it and I thought I see if I could spot some of the fire from the road outside of Hood River. I may have to go back in the daytime a better vantage point without all the traffic and utility poles.
6111104581_aa8da6b6ca_b.jpg

I wanted to get out and shoot at sunset because I knew it would be great due to the smokie skies, but we had company over. Looks like you captured it well...

I wanted to get out and shoot at sunset because I knew it would be great due to the smokie skies, but we had company over. Looks like you captured it well...

It will be putting on the show all weekend and more.

Janice, the first one is outstanding, its got the right amount of color saturation. Rating? I will go 10....11?

Fire/Moon, this is a great shot too! too bad the moon with the smoke made the photo look...hazy? or gives it a "glare"...

Very nice! Up here in Seattle there is/was a fire on the Olympic Peninsula. They're working hard to put it out, but there's a lot of smoke in the air. I even saw some smoke hanging on the water in Olympia yesterday, not sure if it was the fire or not.

On the way home, I noticed that the sunset was amazing. I didn't have a chance to get to a good location. (As you know, once you see a great sunset, you'd better be in position for the shot, since they don't last long...)

I'm glad somebody got a shot of it, or one like it in this case.

Thank you Snuffy.

Bob, I purposely headed out that way to catch the sunset in the Gorge. The whole day was colored by the smoke with a slight 81A warming filter :)

It was a last minute decision and I connected with a friend who suggested we head up to the Mitchell overlook and climb to the top, it should be easy she said. I had not been there and trusted her, first mistake. She had not been there before but said she did her research, so up we headed, second mistake. It turned out to be a steep climb on scree at which the voices in my head said turn back or you will be another hiker lost in the dark in the gorge and find ourselves in the news in the morning. Being the more experienced hiker I called off the excursion, good choice. So we never made it to the top but we got back to our cars in time.

Long story short, halfway down, I looked up and saw this incredible red fire ball as it quickly dropped below the hills. It was setting so fast there was no way I could get my camera out of my pack. So I just had to enjoy it. The shot that got away.

Thanks for the story Janice. The problem with doing hiking research is that the guidebooks and websites about hiking are all written by hikers. That's great, since they know what they're writing about, and know the trails well.

What's not so great is that they often have a different view of "easy" than the average casual hiker. What's easy for them, since they hike every weekend, may well seem like a good training climb for an ascent on Everest to the occasional hiker who goes out a few times a year.

Thanks for the story Janice. The problem with doing hiking research is that the guidebooks and websites about hiking are all written by hikers. That's great, since they know what they're writing about, and know the trails well.

What's not so great is that they often have a different view of "easy" than the average casual hiker. What's easy for them, since they hike every weekend, may well seem like a good training climb for an ascent on Everest to the occasional hiker who goes out a few times a year.

That is so very true. Also in forums sometimes there is a little bravado involved and they don't actually want to admit how difficult a hike can be.

This turned out to be an important lesson for my friend and that may have been the best thing of all. She underestimated her experience and abilities and planned on making the trip even before we connected. We have chatted on line and I had no idea of her experience either. When I told her that it was time to turn back she had already been hearing that voice in her head too. But the other voice that said everything will be fine the view will be awesome overruled the cautious voice. We were very close to nightfall when we made it to our cars. Her last words that from now on when that cautious voice speaks she will listen.

I think we all come with a sense about things but in our comfortable city lives we've lost a little respect for that instinct. I've had just enough close calls that I respect that little voice. A little adventure is the spice of life.

I always enjoyed firey sunset images but this is the first I have seen with large bodies of water instead of desert. I too favor the very first image.

As far as the hiking guides, I learned the same thing in August taking a 'easy' hike that I found elsewhere was rated 'moderate' that was so steep on the first (of three inclines) many hikers turned around. I found localhikes.com had the best description of the trail we took.

For Oregon I like portlandhikers.org. Consider recent posts but check out the "field guide" they have been written by experienced hikers and are pretty accurate.

Of course if one is new to hikers, always better to err on the easier side until you know how to interpret both the forums and the books. If I'm unfamiliar with an area I also back up my research with a good topo map. Learning how to read those are invaluable. There are many good online sites or "topo" software is a nice addition to your computer. If the contour lines are close or there are a lot of tight switchbacks I cringe.

Thank you John. I do license my images through Getty. If you would like more information feel free to contact me. Otherwise any of my posts on this or any other forum are not available for use.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back