Foss River Bridge

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

DWHonan

After joining PNWP shortly after Bob founded the site, I became distracted by life and drifted away from participating here. I certainly didn't abandon photography, though, so I thought I'd present a few of my favorites from '09. These will primarily focus on railroading since that's what I mostly shoot, but viewing the works of others on here is definitely helping motivate me to look at what else there is to do in this amazing corner of the country.

Utter insanity
How crazy does one have to be to intentionally drive into the middle of a Cascade Range blizzard to set up for some night shots? Apparently, however crazy I am. March 7th turned out to be one of the most magical half-days I've ever spent taking photos...

bnsf-7246-on-z-ssechc1-07a-skykomish-wa-03-07-09-l.jpg
The highlight of the night, of course, was being able to capture this remarkable scene of an eastbound train soaring high over the Foss River as the snow fell. The moonlight provided incredible depth to the scene, lighting up both the distant trees on the mountain and the bottom of the river valley.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great shots in a variety of locations and conditions, and the trains are nice too :)

Dave, welcome back to the forum, glad to have you aboard once again.

Thanks for posting your "best of" series, you've got some great shots there. As for train photos, no need to apologize for that! They're great, and many of the photographers here are train fans and photographers as well.

I hope you'll continue to share more of your photos and also to tell us about the techniques you use. I'm also a fan of night photos and time exposures, that stuff is a lot of fun. But it can be difficult to do, so I always enjoy hearing another photographer tell me what they do and how they did it.

Nice work Dave! I'm a big fan of "The light at the end of the tunnel...". You captured the essence of those few seconds between the time you know the train is going to exit the tunnel and when it actually appears. I'd hang that on my wall.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back