Full moon

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

JDueckPhoto

So I thought photographing the moon was tough in general but I hadn't taken photos of an eclipsed moon until tonight. Wow what a different story. I had to shoot slow enough that the movement of the earth or the moon was blurring the images. The only partially usable shot was at 1.6 seconds for the dark moon. For comparison, I posted a picture of the moon after the eclipse and was at 1/800th of a second and several full stops higher ISO.

I was using a D7100 and the equivalent of 630mm.

MLI_6398.jpg
MLI_6410.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
yeah, shooting an eclipse is a lot harder than a normal full moon. there's a company that makes a motor-driven pan head that will move the camera at just the proper speed to track the moon so it won't blur on long exposures, but it runs around $300, probably not a cost-effective investment unless you're really into astrophotography...

yeah, shooting an eclipse is a lot harder than a normal full moon. there's a company that makes a motor-driven pan head that will move the camera at just the proper speed to track the moon so it won't blur on long exposures, but it runs around $300, probably not a cost-effective investment unless you're really into astrophotography...

That's interesting.

I also thought about switching to the full frame camera and upping the ISO to speed up the shutter speed but the reduced zoom was a killer

A buddy of mine in California is into astrophotography. He loses me after the first sentence when he starts talking about all the special equipment and techniques he needs to photograph far galaxies.

My moon shots used fairly standard settings: ISO = 100, 1/30 --> 1/100, f/9-13. I'll admit that my shots were of a basically full moon and not of the eclipse. I have until 2033 to practise.

A buddy of mine in California is into astrophotography. He loses me after the first sentence when he starts talking about all the special equipment and techniques he needs to photograph far galaxies.

My moon shots used fairly standard settings: ISO = 100, 1/30 --> 1/100, f/9-13. I'll admit that my shots were of a basically full moon and not of the eclipse. I have until 2033 to practise.

HAHA yup. Maybe if I get the new 200-500 Nikkor I'll try some other "regular" photos before then.

for "normal" full moon shots i start out at about 1/250 @ f/8, ISO 400 in manual mode... depending on how bright it is (or isn't), i vary the settings to get what i want. this one was shot at 1/200, F/8, ISO 200...

IMG_4804 crop sm.jpg

this one, actually taken in early evening and darkened in post to look more like night and bump the contrast, was shot at 1/800, f/8, ISO 800...

IMG_4020 crop sm.jpg

Those look great Rocky. Nice Photos. I think I'll up the aperture next time because the shutter speed was high enough to do it. With a TC1.4 on, using the len's sweet spot will help improve sharpness.

Those look great Rocky. Nice Photos. I think I'll up the aperture next time because the shutter speed was high enough to do it. With a TC1.4 on, using the len's sweet spot will help improve sharpness.

also, although everyone shoots the full moon, i find that shots of a 3/4 or 1/2 moon come out looking better, because the sun's not face-on to the moon. when the sun is off to one side, as in my second shot above, it casts shadows on the surface, and the craters really stand out...

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back