H2 Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh *Pictures*

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

Digital Latte

Rob and Tracy
Had fun shooting some drips and drops yesterday, thought we would share :)

7e7bc66c.jpg

4a2a2edf.jpg

232cce76.jpg

06bf8793.jpg

7e6911dd.jpg

821e59fc.jpg

198a3fcb.jpg

034fe937.jpg

08d17d96.jpg

You should carry your lenses around in a sheath, like a samurai with his sword, bro.

You have an ill vision, sir. Well done. :)

That might be kinda fun, dress up like a Ninja and go shooting....... I think I am a little to chubby to fool anyone into thinking Im a Ninja though.........

That might be kinda fun, dress up like a Ninja and go shooting....... I think I am a little to chubby to fool anyone into thinking Im a Ninja though.........

No excuse.

Chris Farley did it in American Ninja.

And what about that samurai panda!?

Do it ;)

You were shooting these with the 70*200? Awesome! Inspiring! I must learn this. It might help pass the time while I wait for these gray skies to go GO GO! :D

Well done. I love the blue/green one and the red/yellow one just beneath it, most.

Wow, excellent shots!

I tried to get somebody else to post some shots like these a couple weeks ago, but didn't have any luck. Little did I know I could have asked you instead!

Amazing look and colors, very cool!

How did you time the shots? Did you use some kind of a trigger mech? Is the lighting natural light or are you using flash? Seems like you'd either need flash or really bright lighting...

Way cool! Did you get the colors from colored lights or via software? How many pictures did you have to take before catching a drop just right?

Wow, excellent shots!

I tried to get somebody else to post some shots like these a couple weeks ago, but didn't have any luck. Little did I know I could have asked you instead!

Amazing look and colors, very cool!

How did you time the shots? Did you use some kind of a trigger mech? Is the lighting natural light or are you using flash? Seems like you'd either need flash or really bright lighting...

the set up for most of the shots was

A black broiler pan filled with water

A stool over the pan with a modified water bottle to make the drip drip drips

2 AB-800, one side lighting, the other reflecting on a wall behind the stool

the color comes from behind the water and is a reflection on the water

the timing you get used to, you watch the drips and press the shutter right as it hits the water, its easy to catch it at the right time, but you only get a "cool" looking drip every once in a bit. :)

Way cool! Did you get the colors from colored lights or via software? How many pictures did you have to take before catching a drop just right?

the 7th picture was a keeper, your odds of getting a keeper increase as you go along. just play around with the lighting and using different materials for color and patterns.

So what did you use for the colors? Did you have gels on the flash, or hang something on the wall? (Or both?) Did you take any photos of your setup?

The colors are intense, you did a great job of this!

Last edited:
This video will show you one technique you can use to get this type of shot.

The technology involved is pretty simple, and based on what DL just said, apparently you can ignore the whole timing circuit thing with a bit of practice, at least for the single drops.

Now don't let the "simple" part fool you. After all, getting into the major leauges is also simple. Just consistently hit a baseball with a stick, and hit for over 400 feet. Explaining it is simple, actually doing it, and doing it well, is another story. :)

[YOUTUBE]VoQ0DQpwwHU[/YOUTUBE]

OK, so you used cellophane for the colors?

BTW, this was today's Photo of the Day on our FB page.

Geez Bob, I watched Time Warp for over an hour. I had never even heard of the show. Now I am subscribed. It was way to easy to get lost watching that stuff.
Thanks, I think.

I love TimeWarp. It's even better if you watch it in High Def on a big screen TV.

For those of you who haven't heard of it, TimeWarp is a show where they shoot all kind of stuff with high speed cameras. The water drop one is the only one I can recall that was actually about photography. Still, the high speed footage is way cool, no matter what they're filming. They've done things like skateboarders, breaking bottles, karate chops, and lots more. Great stuff!

OK, so you used cellophane for the colors?

BTW, this was today's Photo of the Day on our FB page.

We used all sorts of materials to create the color, from an beach kite, skirts, the wall... the basic concept is that the water will pick up whatever color is behind it... the color comes from reflection, not really the color of the light...

Thanks for the P.O.D. on FB

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back