hadn't seen one of these in years!

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

squirl033

Super Moderator
Staff member
the Amphicar was made in Germany from 1962-68. i saw this one while out and about last weekend and had to stop for a couple of shots... been very well restored/maintained, that's for sure!

IMG_5440sm_zps53724379.jpg

IMG_5439sm_zpsd7ba134c.jpg

Rocky, I have a great story about these fun little cars and my family feud over one of them in action. My family was on vacation in So Cal when I was about 6 years old. We saw one of these come out of the surf during a show or event at the beach. My brother and I thought it was the coolest thing EVER and my parents had to let us know it was specially made and our family car, (a 60's Dodge Coronet in Robin's Egg Blue), would not work the same way. I let them off the hook on that one until we went to Ocean Shores the first time I could read... I saw the signs saying you could drive on the beach and I thought they just didn't want to take the car into the water and was mad at them all day and pulled off a very successful pouty diva routine. We still laugh over that whenever we go anywhere with a drivable beach.

I went for a "boat" ride in one of those last summer shooting a bride and groom....got lots of good looks from the "land lubbers" :) Kind of a trip to be sitting in a car with water just a few inches below the top of the door.

I remember your posts about it last year. They are cool but just how "seaworthy" is a craft with submerged doors?

Great for a wedding shoot though!

There is the normal door handle and then there is a spacial latch used to tighten the door down on the seal when you enter the water. They are a fair weather craft for sure and I'd not want to be taking one out on Lake WA when the wind is blowing. Great way to beat the fee on the 520 bridge in calm weather though. :)

"Great way to beat the fee on the 520 bridge in calm weather though."

yeah, but at 6 knots, it'd take you a good while to cross the lake... and find a boat ramp on either side!

East bond you could just pull into Bill's yard. West bound I'm sure the UW would have a good spot to pull into.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back