Haystack Rock

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

squirl033

Super Moderator
Staff member
the forecast looked promising, so my daughter and i took a little trip to Cannon Beach yesterday. first half of the day was lovely, but later on the clouds moved in so thick the sunset was... well, it wasn't. anyway, i stopped for this obligatory tourist shot on the way down 101 toward Manzanita. it was already starting to get hazy, and by the time we had supper and made it back to the beach, it was pretty socked in... 5D, 24-135 @ 135mm, 1/500 @ f/8...

IMG_6368sm.jpg

Darn haze, I would really appreciate some sun this spring! I'm solar powered ya know! :) I bet the drive was nice though.

yeah, i can feel my own batteries running dangerously low! ;) i am so sick of this cold, wet garbage i could just barf. and there's no end in sight. looks like another "year without a summer".... :(

The Oregon Coast can be so challenging. I was down there for a few days last summer, and the fog/low clouds were very frustrating at times. What was really annoying is that about a mile inland it was bright and sunny and gorgeous! But right on the beach was the wall of clouds that would hang around most, if not all, of the day.

I also saw clouds forming extremely rapidly one afternoon. It went from bright and sunny to not being able to see 10 feet in front of you in about 10 minutes. I was glad I wasn't hiking then, since it was so thick it would have been very easy to lose the trail and get lost. It was a vivid reminder of just how fast conditions can change on the coast.

true indeed, Bob. the clouds don't usually roll in that fast, but i've seen it happen on the coast and also in the mountains. it's really frustrating for photography... you wait for a promising forecast, then it looks good so you drive for 3 hours and the morning is beautiful, but by mid-afternoon it's starting to look dodgy and by sunset it's crap. *sigh* oh well... this time of year, you might as well roll dice - your chances of being right are about as good. maybe by July the weather will have settled down and we'll be able to trust the forecast at least a little bit more...

true indeed, Bob. the clouds don't usually roll in that fast, but i've seen it happen on the coast and also in the mountains...

That was the scary part. They didn't "roll in" at all, as in drifted in from off shore, they just appeared out of thin air, literally! ;) It was evening, the temps dropped fairly fast, the air temp hit the dewpoint and the clouds/fog simply formed right there on the spot. Went from gorgeous sunny day, not a cloud in the sky, to cold, damp, foggy and very low visibility, and did it quickly.

I couldn't help picturing myself wondering around on one of the trails out there, no map, no compass, no real flashlight, no rain gear (it was clear 1/2 hour before), getting dark, can't see for any distance, lots of cliffs and drop-offs. Could have been a real nasty experience. What would have started out as maybe a 1/4 mile hike in the park that didn't rate a second thought could have suddenly become a lot more challenging.

Unfortunately, there's a few hikers in the Pacific NW who learn that lesson the hard way, and spend a very cold and wet night in the woods or worse. I'm sure we've all heard the story of a stranded hiker on Mt Rainier who, after search and rescue locates him/her says something like 'It was a sunny day, and I was just going on a short day hike, so I didn't have any gear with me..." If you're hiking any distance at all, maybe a small compass and one of those mylar survival blankets in the camera bag wouldn't hurt.

I realize you were probably using "roll in" in a metaphorical manner, but that's what really surprised me in this one, they just suddenly appeared.

Last edited:
your chances of being right are about as good. maybe by July the weather will have settled down and we'll be able to trust the forecast at least a little bit more...

Sorry you got the short end of the dice throw.

We had our reservations last December, for our favorite little motel on the beach down there. My surgery mishaps extended that. Then came weather. We finally said we are going REGARDLESS two or so weeks ago. Forecast was for rain and clouds all day.

We got there and it was totally dismal, but no rain. Then two hours before sunset, the clouds departed quickly right before our eyes, with the exception of the occasional scattered ones. We could NOT believe our luck. We should have bought lottery tickets that day.

Sorry that

So typical of the Oregon Coast, sunny and warm inland, foggy and usually windy there. Just the same it's a lovely shot of the Rock and I really don't mind the haze. I'm thrilled with anything blue right now.

"Then two hours before sunset, the clouds departed quickly right before our eyes, with the exception of the occasional scattered ones."

yeah, it works both ways... sometimes you get lucky, sometimes you don't. i've had my share of good luck there, and gotten some good shots, so i can't really complain... and if it wasn't a 4-hour trip and the better part of a c-note for gas for the trip (at today's prices, anyway!), i wouldn't worry about it at all!

So typical of the Oregon Coast, sunny and warm inland, foggy and usually windy there. Just the same it's a lovely shot of the Rock and I really don't mind the haze. I'm thrilled with anything blue right now.

thanks, Janice. kinda like today... this morning started out gray and dreary, but the clouds have thinned, and it actually looks very pleasant now... pity i'm stuck at a desk and can't go take advantage of it!

"That was the scary part. They didn't "roll in" at all, as in drifted in from off shore, they just appeared out of thin air, literally!"

i've seen that happen too, Bob... usually in the mountains, but also on the coast. all it takes is some rapid cooling, and presto, you're walking in pea soup! that's why "the 10 essentials" are so valuable! my daughter always tells me i need an 11th... a satellite phone for those times when i'm out in the middle of nowhere, where my cell phone has no reception! one of these days, when i can afford it, i'm gonna add one to my camera bag, but at $700+ for a good phone and $75 a month for 30 minutes of air time, it's a bit steep for my budget right now...

Rocky, there are some other options for serious hikers. There's a GPS unit or something along those lines that can send your location and some pre-defined messages such as "I'm OK" "Send Help" or "I'm about to be eaten by a... <signal lost>

Sorry I can't be more specific, but since my hikes are limited to short distances and main trails I haven't paid that much attention. I do recall the basic idea though, that this unit would work to send a "HELP!" message, long with your coordinates, should you need to do so, and it wasn't nearly as expensive as a satphone. (or as big and heavy)

thanks, Bob... i'll check into that. i don't go beyond cell range all THAT often - most of my excursions are also short hikes not far from the parking lot - but there are times when i do get a bit beyond the range of the nearest cell tower, and i know my daughter - and probably me too - would rest easier knowing i'd have some way to holler for help if i fell into a ravine somewhere and couldn't get out...

Portland News says bad weather over by middle of May. We all hope, I need some lake time, if I ever get there photo's to follow. I want to go to Portland about the 6th, might get snow then too, guess I will have to plan on going through Fossel and Condon, and down the river...there should be some good photo stops.

Don't feel alone. The sunny side of Oregon is still dreary as well. Pretty, sunny, and seventy yesterday; gray, wet, and fifty today. No spring here this year. I have a feeling we will be going from 50 to 80 in one day then 90's. Oh well such is the way of mother nature.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back