Here kitty kitty...

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

It was well covered in Portland. Goes to show you how much we have to learn about these wonderful creature.

I did see this. WOW. Unprecedented, I guess. Can you even imagine going for a moonlight hike, and around the corner...

I've seen cougar 3 times in my life, all as single lions. Neither me nor them ever stuck around long enough for a photograph, though.

Magnificent animals, they are!

It is amazing to see this. The wildlife biologists think it was two moms with youngsters.
I've also seen three in the wild, one while lglassing down over a mountain side a couple of hundred yards away, another up close that took off as soon as I saw it and the third one just laid on top of an old growth stump under a huckleberry bush watching me. Never did seem to mind me being in the area, must have thought I didn't see it.

But then maybe he's like the one at Northwest Trek that I seem to bore to death when I'm there...
237403487.jpg

Haha. That's fantastic! What an expression.

Another biologist's report I read said that they thought it was possibly a mother with her three cubs, and that mother's daughter from a previous season, with her three cubs. Either way, very cool. I've had numerous trail cameras up around this state in the past, but have never seen anything like this. I've seen bear, coyote, pine martin, deer, elk, and a single cougar. This is great, though.

The first cougar I saw was with my high school sweetheart, on our way back down a local hiking trail, on prom night. It followed us down to the parking lot from about mid-mountain (where I first spotted it with my flashlight.) When I turned on the headlights, it was about 75 yards away crouched down in the field.
The second one I saw was up near Blue River, standing in the middle of the road. This one bounced away mighty quickly.
The third I saw while bowhunting for deer up near Willamette Pass. Something caught the corner of my eye, so I rounded the corner of a little revine expecting to see a blacktail, but instead saw a young male cougar lying down on a fallen young fir, swaying his tail back and forth. I walked the 2 miles back to my car, backwards!

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back