Hiking the Grassy Knoll Trail.

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

JaniceL

Super Moderator
Staff member
Every year I hike this trail with my hiking buddy for the wildflowers. Also, every year seems later and later because of the late snow melt. Usually this is a May hike. It is a July hike this year and a June hike last year. It seems strange to see Balsamroot in July.

For those of you not familiar with this trail, it is in the Gifford Pinchot National forest, with the closest community being Carson in the Columbia Gorge. It is a single lane forest road full of potholes and limited pullouts.

The trail starts out with a steep grade and occasional points of view like this one. This happens to be Mt. Adams.
5920354845_2ba2ae0105_b.jpg

Then you get to Grassy Knoll. It used to be an old lookout site. The lookout is gone but you can still see some of the foundation and some debris scattered around. This is where most stop for a view of the Gorge and Mt. Hood.
5920917794_3cc2f19aef_b.jpg

I like to move beyond and follow the trail to Grassy Pass. Where the wildflowers and gorgeous views are plentiful.
5920354559_2cc9063c80_b.jpg

5922477849_55026aa5f7_b.jpg

5923043396_9b1d474787_b.jpg

5924258942_6dc3ed4503_b.jpg

Here's to getting out there and enjoying our summer even if it is a bit late this year.

Last edited:
I can understand why you make the trek each year, Janice. All of the shots are excellent and would make great large pictures. Nice job.

Mike

Hey thanks for posting these. I have thought about making the trek up there sometime and it looks like a great place to hike/shoot. I like the second shot the best--its got some interesting clouds and good depth with the flowers in the foreground.

Thank you. One day I'll make the trip up there either alone or with another photographer. This is always a trip I make with a hiking friend, no time for anything but snapshots.

Great shots, this is today's "Photo of the Day" on our Facebook page.

Great Photos

Very beautiful composition. Here's a photographer Friend that would go on hikes with you. I totally understand.:)

Bob, Thank you for the photo of the day.

Thank you everybody for your kind comments.

Lorita, one day I just might take you up on that.

Great series, you really do need to go there with another photographer so you can stay late to catch some good light (just bring a flashlight to find your way back or a sleeping bag to spend the night for some morning light).

The best light seems to be in the morning. Allowed campsites are hard to find. I was really annoyed to find a tent set up in a meadow. Although I will admit not to be a backpacker.

Great Shots! How hard of a hike is it Janice?
If it's an easy hike, I might try and get up there soon.

Great Shots! How hard of a hike is it Janice?
If it's an easy hike, I might try and get up there soon.

How hard is always hard to answer. I've never hiked with you, or know your hiking experience so I'll give you a couple references. It's all relative. My hiking companion each have our own strengths and weaknesses and have learned over years of hiking how to accommodate each other. I'm good on the long and flat and she is good on the short and steep.

A guide book that I use describes it as a moderate hike. There are many criteria that William Sullivan uses length, steepness etc. I'll use Elowah falls as a comparison, since I know you are familiar with it. It is rated as easy. 600 ft. total elevation gain in a 3 mile round trip. He rates the Grassy Knoll a moderate hike (not counting the prettiest part beyond) as 1200 ft gain in 2.2 miles one way.

He defines a rating of moderate as trails "from 4-11 miles round trip. The longer hikes in this category are not steep, but shorter trails may gain up to 2000 feet of elevation - or may require some pathfinding skills. Hikers must be in good condition and will need to take several rest stops."

Here is a good link that describes it from summitpost.org.

It is a relatively short hike. I am not a strong hill climber and on a hot day the first 600 foot climb that is very early on and that part of the hike is tough for me, while it is easy for my hiking companion. It is a quick ascent. After that there are moderate ups and downs that I would rate as easy. The question I have to ask is do you frequently hike? If hike regularly, no problem. If not I would not suggest it.

Sorry about being a bit wishy washy but it is a long way up a single unmaintained road. When I was there there last there were more people than I've ever seen before. I've been there when there was just us and the bears. I'll err on the side of being cautious on this one.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back