Hummer in flight

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

Christine

lots of patients on this one... LOL CC welcome

8873602800_6823ba4e57_z.jpg

hummer-in-flight by photocopys photos, on Flickr

That is a great photo of a rufous. It looks like you had to pump up the ISO to get a shutter speed fast enough to freeze the wings, but such is life in the Pacific North Wet.

Thanks Bill... i was huddled as close to the tripod and my hood over my head...LOL

Using the 70-200L with the 2x extention
shutter 2500 F8 ISO 3200

Great job on this, Christine! Getting a hummer in flight, let alone a male Rufous, is a real challenge. And with manual focus, simply amazing. Congratulations!

Great job on this, Christine! Getting a hummer in flight, let alone a male Rufous, is a real challenge. And with manual focus, simply amazing. Congratulations!

I wish you and Christine would share your Rufous hummers with the rest of us. I am lucky to spot one once a year up on Pt. Edwards.

Is there any way to get sharper pics without upping the ISO so high?

Good question. Maybe try a sunnier day with more daylight. Perhaps drop that ISO closer to your camera's 'ISO sweet spot" if you happen to know that number, if not try and find it on the camera, see which numbers have the least amount of noise. Maybe the number is in your cameras booklet manual. Also, are you able to go any faster on your exposure? Maybe try kicking the brightness up a couple notches.

That's a pretty darn good photo there. Maybe experiment and add your best findings to your custom settings and go from there. Use your custom settings as a platform and adjust the levels to best suit your shooting conditions.

Dunno if any of this helps any but, may be enough to get the ball rolling. :D

Chad

Also, that platform I was talking about. Maybe for the time being looking at the image data, the camera settings you were using at the time you took that picture and setting them to your custom settings for when you are shooting hummers and go from there. Try and drop the ISO down and compensate by turning up exposure and brightness. I tell ya, you do that and use these hummers as the subject, you will find that your nature photography abilities will improve immensely.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back