Hummingbirds, anyone?

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

Joemeche

I'll kick off this new thread with one of three that have been at my feeder all winter. Amazing that they hung in during the really cold stretch we had, but they did!

ANHU1106Two.jpg
Anna's Hummingbird, male

On the wing, and looking at me through the kitchen window. Fascinating creatures!
*Check the feet. ;)

ANHU53SmC.jpg
Anna's Hummingbird

The Anna's hummingbird has steadily moved its range north from its native Southern California. Some believe that those up here are evolving into a separate subspecies as they are stockier and heavier than their California cousins. This makes sense as a stocky, heavy body would help them survive our colder winters.

Hummingbirds - My home in Shoreline, WA

A few hummingbird photos

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    175.6 KB · Views: 320
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 360
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 349
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 324
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 329
I can add some Hummers!

We all have seen Anna's or Rufus Hummers around the Pacific Northwest. So I'll throw in some from Costa Rica - all taken last February near the lodges we were staying at. I can't ID them all, but many were Green-crowned Briliant Hummingbirds.

12091220776_839eaae4e2_o.jpg

Hummingbird-3 by Mike-PDX, on Flickr

12091218046_2565dc71e4_o.jpg

Hummingbird-2 by Mike-PDX, on Flickr

12090856053_013b4e5c0a_o.jpg

Hummingbird-1 by Mike-PDX, on Flickr

8641041662_d75cb3fe24_o.jpg

Green-crowned Brilliant Hummingbird - 2 by Mike-PDX, on Flickr

8641042116_a1c21fe19c_o.jpg

Green-crowned Brilliant Hummingbird - 3 by Mike-PDX, on Flickr

Oh, geez, these are all nice! Good thread idea.

I really haven't photographed Hummingbirds in a past couple of years. I need to do so again, soon.
5559443_orig.jpg

3358295_orig.jpg

9484501_orig.jpg

Wow, some nice shots here!

We haven't seen "ours" lately, I'm worried about the little guy. We only had one that frequents our feeder, or so it would seem. Not sure why I don't get more.

Wow, some nice shots here!

We haven't seen "ours" lately, I'm worried about the little guy. We only had one that frequents our feeder, or so it would seem. Not sure why I don't get more.

Anna's are extremely territorial. The "one" you see at your feeder has chased off all the others.

Here is a series I took Wednesday (1/22) of Wesley, the resident free range (he don't need no stinkin' feeders) male Anna's hummer who guards the #1 (far western) viewing platform at the Edmonds marsh. A train was passing by on the nearby railroad tracks, so the background colors were constantly changing. The train did not bother Wesley in the slightest.

01.JPG

02.JPG

03.JPG

I think yellow and orange best brought out Wesley's colors.
04.JPG

05.JPG

For all I know, Wesley and the other 3-4 hummers I have seen at the #1 viewing platform may take advantage of the feeders set out by the residents of the Pt. Edwards condos, located about a half mile south (as the hummer flies) across the marsh and Unocal grounds.

Last edited:
I havent seen my little guys either lately... i still hang a feeder out every morning and have a heat lamp on for them.....

Daily Visitor To The Fountain

Have continued to run my fountain with the exception of three days during our last cold spell. Am finding visitors still coming daily!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 250
Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back