ISO 40,000 on the Canon 1Dx WOW

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

NinaS

Super Moderator
Staff member
WOW

ISO 40,000, F/3.5, 1/800th
Canon 1Dx with 70-200 f/2.8L

Taken today, at Argus Ranch for Dogs, in Auburn Wa.

CR2Q4129web.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The 1DX is notably heavier than the 5D series. What did you think of its weight? Were you carrying it around your neck for long periods of time?

well, I don't shoot with a 5D, but have multiple 50D's, the 1Dx is a bit heavier, but I'm used to shooting with a 70-200 f2.8 and sometimes a 2x extender, so am conditioned for lots O lifting anyway LOL

that said, I'm not sore after a day of shooting. I don't "hang" the camera, just hold it in my right hand, rest it on my lap, or cuddle it in my left elbow, if walking ... so no neck pain involved ... when I shoot fashion shows, I may hang it, but don't think it is enough of a difference to kill me, as then, I shoot with two bodies & lenses both hanging

and, to shoot at ISO 40,000 that is fourty thousand! I'll accept the additional weight

And I thought my 5D Mk III being able to handle shots at ISO 12800/25600 so much better than my 7D was a giant step forward for mankind. :(

My primary "focus" is bird photography and more often than not I am out photographing in the lousiest light our Pacific North Wet has to offer. My bird photo buddy Terry once told me that it is no coincidence the great bird photographers live in California and Florida. :mad:

At times (such as when I look at the OP's photo) I am sorely tempted give up motorcycle touring, sell my Ducati, and use the proceeds towards a purchase of a 1Dx . :cool:

Last edited:
ISO 40,000, F/3.5, 1/800th
Canon 1Dx with 70-200 f/2.8L

Taken today, at Argus Ranch for Dogs, in Auburn Wa.

f3.5, 1/800th, at Argus? Indoors, right? (Some days you're lucky to get that outdoors, LOL!)

Yeah, that would make life easier!

Damn, camera envy. You give every assistant one right.
I think I have the next weekend free. LOL.

Comparison shot for the Nikon D4: I think I have an advantage as far as lighting but this is at ISO51,200 (HI2). Its amazing what the new technologies do in terms of ISO.

DSC_8613.jpg

I would not consider the daffodils as a comparison shot. Daylight does not even remotely compare to the inside of arena.
I would challenge you to try an arena typically used for dog sports. Then the cimparison would be meaningful.

I would not consider the daffodils as a comparison shot. Daylight does not even remotely compare to the inside of arena.
I would challenge you to try an arena typically used for dog sports. Then the cimparison would be meaningful.

WOW harsh :) I don't shoot at an arena or have an arena close by that would be difficult. Next time I'm out shooting night sports, I'll post some shots at 51k but then the advantage would go to the arena shooting. Some arenas have clear panels or open sides so its hard for me to determine what shot is really comparable anyway.

Also since the graininess of an image is heavily related to accurate exposure there is value in comparing photos in both an arena or early morning on a cloudy day. By that I mean if the arena exposure is f4 and my exposure is f9 (for correct exposure) than the overall look will be similar and somewhat comparable---if exposing properly.

And to be fair I said I had an advantage with lighting. I also have an advantage with using a higher aperture number for better lens "sweetness".

My apologies for sounding harsh. Not my intent. Trying to keep it short when messaging on a phone. Just isn't a comparison. I shoot a 7D and my results are much different indoors vs outdoors with identical settings.

Just saying to be a fair test one must compare cameras in a similar environment.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Again sorry if I'm sounding ummm grumpy
:)

Again sorry if I'm sounding ummm grumpy
:)

No problem. I may go to my horse barn at dusk and take the same photo with those potted flowers just for kicks to see what the difference really is. I can probably get the same lighting...

Better comparison:

Here the clouds are out, inside a barn with no windows or clear panels, all doors shut except for about a 1" opening

ISO 51,200, zoom set at 120mm and 200mm using Nikon D4 camera,
Nikkor 70-200mm f2.8 lens @ 1/750 and f3.3.

DSC_8647.jpgDSC_8648.jpg

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back