It's not National Geographic

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

JaniceL

Super Moderator
Staff member
So it's not exactly a capture for National Geographic. But with good glass you can pull out a critter in the distance. Thanks Nina for the loan of the lens and the eyes of a drive by shooter.

After
4998074784_e0a85d1435_b.jpg

Before
4998432939_9834c618d4_b.jpg

not too shabby, though there seems to be a lot of noise in the foreground... what lens was this shot with?

Nina might correct me on this but I think it was a 70-200. And yes it is noisy because it was taken around 7:10 and overcast. ISO 1600. Considering that it is significantly cropped and there is not a lot of texture in the foreground because of the shallow DOF, I'm pleasantly surprised.

yeah, that high ISO will definitely do it! overall, it came out pretty well for something shot at dusk and heavily cropped!

Ohhh, what a wonderful sight that would be looking through the scope on my .223
250 yds off, just hold on the top of his right ear.

Its fairly easy to call in a yote' make noises like a wounded rabbit and they will come a runnin! nice shot

Shhh. Don't tell Tony.

LOL!!! Or my son....he has a problem with them eating his chickens and turkeys. Even worse though are the bobcats.

Nicely done, Janice.

I loved living near coyotes. I liked hearing them yapping and yipping when they made a (jackrabbit) kill.

LOL!!! Or my son....he has a problem with them eating his chickens and turkeys. Even worse though are the bobcats.

Nicely done, Janice.

I loved living near coyotes. I liked hearing them yapping and yipping when they made a (jackrabbit) kill.

I bet you live near coyotes and just never see them. I've seen them a couple times once a pair at night behind my condo when I was walking my dog and another time when just driving down the road in the middle of the day. There are times when a bunch of cats will get killed when people leave them out at night. Sigh.

Their yipping gives me the shivers in a creepy cool way.

Last edited:
they're everywhere. i've seen them several times in Seattle suburbs where i live, and i'm pretty convinced i've lost several cats to them over the years. not sure i'd go as far as Tony - i have nothing against hunting, i just believe you should eat what you kill - but i can see where they can be a problem. it's really a trip, though, to hear a pack of 'em up in the hills when you're camping, and listen as they get closer, and sometimes even run through the campground...

no need to correct Janice, it was the 70-200 f/2.8 L IS v1 that she grabbed out of my bag ... can you believe she'd never been to the drive thru portion of Ridgefield NWR??
next time, well go when we don't have 45mins till the gate closes when we arrive LOL

I drove, pointed at things, she shot, I drove ... that can't make me the drive by shooter in this tale :)

that's only because he was out my window :)
and I did stop to take the picture, the truck wasn't moving

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back