It's salmon time on Eagle Creek

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

JaniceL

Super Moderator
Staff member
I had a hunch to do an exploratory road trip today up to Eagle Creek in the Gorge. Usually the Salmon peak late October. Last year on Oct 2 the creek was nearly dry. What a difference a year and some rain makes.

5011041988_5627927475_b.jpg

5010436837_e4b5d248d6_b.jpg

Chito, Thank you. Because I was practically sitting on top of them I used my 24-105 and shot at about 75mm and shot a little wider than I would have liked because I need room to crop. I had no way to anticipate when and where they would enter my viewfinder. Thank goodness for digital.

My agility training with Nina improved my success rate over last year :)

Update, if anybody is thinking about visiting the salmon spawning . . . wait. In two days the water has markedly reduced its flow and there are few fish swimming upstream. Those who are here can't make that leap right now and are now milling around below in a pond. Just a little activity. The peak is yet to come.

See the difference a couple days made.

5016334889_5bdcfd52ca_z.jpg

Last edited:
I wanna go ... week after next, any day but Wed, Thur or Fri LOL
gee, guess, with your schedule, that means Monday or never :)

We have to wait until we have a good rain. Typically late October is when they show up so I think Monday was an anomaly. The only reason I did go was because of the rain we had before and I was totally surprised to see them.

LOL, with your schedule you are right about Mondays unless we did afternoon on Tuesdays. Let's think about mid October for shooting there. It's really stunning when the really red fish come in. I saw just one. That is very cool to see on a sunny day.

Of course even on the days when there are few fish there is something to shoot.
Like agility birds.
5017031848_d3f6e2927c.jpg

and landscape if there is nothing else.
5017284504_789655b931_z.jpg

Last edited:
Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back