July 4th Fireworks in Edmonds, WA.

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
My aunt and uncle invited me over to their house to photograph our town's annual Fourth of July fireworks show from their back deck. Since I only get to do this once a year, I am always starting from scratch. Hopefully I can remember what worked and what didn't for use next year.

At my latitude, it does not get dark enough for fireworks shows until after 10:00pm PDT. Until then, some residents light off their own illegal fireworks. I took advantage of this heinous criminal activity to get an idea of what camera settings to use for the official fireworks show.
01.JPG

From the legal, official fireworks show; sponsored by the Edmonds Chamber of Commerce.
02.JPG
03.JPG
04.JPG
05.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Some more. I'll keep the photos in my computer so I'll know what camera settings to use next year.

06.JPG
07.JPG
08.JPG
09.JPG
10.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice. I like the very first post that includes the sunset, Bill. These are tricky shots. Its taken me a while (like a few years) to figure out that slow shutter speeds work the best.

Those are pretty good. The settings are tricky, and can vary from show to show depending on the distance and how big the fireworks are. (i.e. pro fireworks are brighter than the ones you buy at the reservation...)

One thing I figured out over the years if that shutter speed is pretty much irrelevant. How is that possible? Well, the typical fireworks burst only lasts for say 5 or 10 seconds. After that, the sky goes black again. So it's almost like the fireworks choose the exposure duration for you. That leaves two options you can modify, iso and aperture. I set one and vary the other until I get something I like.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back