Kamiak Butte County ParK

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Last weekend was my 45 year high school class reunion in Lewiston, ID. For the first time in twenty years, I did not ride my motorcycle to Lewiston. I took the F-150 as I wanted to take along my photography equipment and spend time photographing things I usually would just ride past.

Thursday (8/8) I hiked to the summit of Kamiak Butte and back down, a hike of about five miles in +90*F heat. I kept thinking that I should have done this 40+ years ago when I was a student at WSU.

Scenes from the trail on the way up. It was very hazy due to the heat and forest fires farther south in Idaho. I tried to counter the haze with my circular polarizing filter.

Looking southeast.
01.JPG

Looking east.
03.JPG

Steptoe Butte to the north.
14.JPG

Telephoto shot of Steptoe Butte.
20.JPG

Looking west on the way down from the summit.
18.JPG

Last edited:
Great photos, Bill. Despite the haze you got some nice gold contrasting with the green.
I lived in Pullman as a kid and I remember Steptoe Butte and hot summer days. But when we were in Pullman a few Mays ago there was horizontal rain not far from freezing.
Do you think it would still look good in October? We may go through on our snowbird flight to Mexico.
- Dave

Here is one from that trip, though I think this may be further north in Idaho.
-
palouseShed.jpg

Last edited:
Do you think it would still look good in October? We may go through on our snowbird flight to Mexico. Dave

October is one of the prettiest months on the Palouse. I would like to return in October, but I'll probably have to wait until early November due to my wife's travel plans. If you are going to spend a night in the area, try not to go the weekend of a University of Idaho or WSU home football game.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back