last light on Mt Challenger

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

squirl033

Super Moderator
Staff member
took a li'l jaunt up into the north Cascades on Friday, this was one of the shots i brought back... at 8207 feet, Mt Challenger is one of the taller peaks in the Pickett Range which is a sub-range of the Washington Cascades. 5d2, 24-105 @ 88mm, 1/25 sec @ f/8, -2/3 EV

LastLightonMtChallengersm_zpscc7a5d11.jpg

Last edited:
Rocky what is your opinion of the 24-105 lens ?,I'm thinking of buying one. I like your photo good work

thanks, Russ... i quite like the 24-105. it's got a very versatile focal range, especially for landscape work, and in terms of sharpness, it's probably the best lens in its range if you're shooting on a full-frame Canon. the corners can be a little bit soft wide open, but that's common with wide lenses on FF bodies - if you're using a crop body, you won't have that problem, but you'll give up some of the wide-angle perspective in exchange for a bit more telephoto. the AF is fairly fast, and though i rarely use the stabilizer, works well and it's handy for those times i do shoot freehand with it. my only complaints - such as they are - are that f/4 isn't as fast as i'd like for some things, and i wish it had the same range as my Tamron 24-135. that extra 30mm doesn't seem like much, but it's really handy on a "walkabout" lens.

Thanks for the info Rocky i have a 60d now and will be buying ff soon I have look at a used Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III and the new canon 6D/5d markIII I can't make up my mind ;)

if you love customizable menus and functions, the 5D3 might be a better choice. otherwise, the 6D offers most of the same functionality - including the same high-ISO capability - at a lower price. the 1Ds III would give you better AF, etc., than any of the others, but the high-ISO performance would be less than even your 60D. personally, i'd look at a used 5D2 as well - you can pick one up for a pretty reasonable price these days. you'd give up a bit of the high ISO capability compared to the 5D Mk III, but better than the 1Ds3. i looked at the 5D3 when it came out, and decided that for what i wanted, it didn't offer any significant advantage over the Mk II...

I know of one person with a 6D. He said it goes through batteries very quickly when the Wi Fi and GPS features are engaged. He turned them off to save battery life.

Check my Sunsets of Edmonds thread. Many of those shots were taken with the 5D Mk III + 24-105L zoom.
http://www.pnwphotos.com/forum/showthread.php?7935-Sunsets-of-Edmonds-WA

I bought the 5D Mk III for the advanced auto focus and higher ISO settings for bird photography and the HDR feature for sunsets. If you don't need those features, you can find some good bargains on the 5D Mk II. Kenmore Camera has a used one for sale: http://www.kenmorecamera.com/p-27286-used-canon-eos-5d-mark-ii.aspx

Last edited:
I know of one person with a 6D. He said it goes through batteries very quickly when the Wi Fi and GPS features are engaged. He turned them off to save battery life.

Check my Sunsets of Edmonds thread. Many of those shots were taken with the 5D Mk III + 24-105L zoom.
http://www.pnwphotos.com/forum/showthread.php?7935-Sunsets-of-Edmonds-WA

I bought the 5D Mk III for the advanced auto focus and higher ISO settings for bird photography and the HDR feature for sunsets. If you don't need those features, you can find some good bargains on the 5D Mk II. Kenmore Camera has a used one for sale: http://www.kenmorecamera.com/p-27286-used-canon-eos-5d-mark-ii.aspx

The 6D is an affordable compromise although you can't go wrong with the 5DMk II. Either one will have a slow burst speed. I've heard the 6D has better noise reduction than the 5D MkII. I owned a 5D mkII and it was nothing to sneeze at, mind you.

thanks Janice for your input! I had 7D for a week when best buy junk out my 60d i dropped a flash light on the screen and it shattered it so i bought 7d for 300$ more but did not like the raw or jpeg files it made so I returned it for a new 60d and the photos are very good on it, I love every thing on the 7d but the images ! but now i want a FF canon ;)

Last edited:
I love every thing on the 7d but the images ! but now i want a FF canon ;)

odd that you had problems with the 7D's image quality... i've had mine for about 2 months now, and absolutely love it. then again, i do use it with "L" glass...

I may have had a bad copy Rocky, most of problems was in the focus and overall soft photos and noise,the 60d photos are sharp and crisp I tried everything I used my 18-135 lens and my 50mm f/1.8 from my old 60d the 7d has the same Sensor and DIGIC 4 chip, I needed a camera for a memorial service and best buy had one in stock so I traded back,the 60d is a good camera it just doesn't have the bells and Whistles that the 7d has.hear is some of the links I used to try and fix it with. http://blog.photoframd.com/2009/12/07/canon-7d-problem-focusing-customize-the-af/
http://darwinwiggett.wordpress.com/2011/09/24/dredging-up-the-canon-7d/

Last edited:
bad examples do escape from time to time... mine focuses tack sharp, and the images are crisp and clean, with very little noise up to ISO 1600 and above. but it sounds like the 60D does everything you need, and it's cheaper in the bargain, so until/unless you feel the need for a FF body or more pixels (and really, for most purposes, 18Mp is plenty), that 60D will probably serve you quite well.

odd that you had problems with the 7D's image quality... i've had mine for about 2 months now, and absolutely love it. then again, i do use it with "L" glass...

I've had a 7D for almost four years - love it! I've used it with EFS macro and EFS17-85 (both left over from my 20D); also telephoto, telephoto+extender. most failings in the photos have been my fault, not the camera's. The features that I miss on it from today's technology are more auto-focus points and better high-ISO performance.

I've had a 7D for almost four years - love it!............ The features that I miss on it from today's technology are more auto-focus points and better high-ISO performance.

I bought a 5D Mk III for those same reasons, but I always take my 7D with me in the field. It is very convenient to have two cameras + two lenses rather than having to keep switching lenses on one camera.

It must have been a bad copy I did love the camera and tried all the setting,I may buy the 7d again or wait for the Mark II,the ff also looks good I going into Portrait and will setup a studio,but I think I will buy a 24-105 lens first. thanks for all the input it does help

Last edited:
Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back