Malheur County Oregon's Golden Hour

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

Judy N

Malheur Butte Sunset 1/80, f11, canon 75-300 5.6 at 75mm hood of the carView attachment 5352

Farm Equipment storage and the glow. 1/8, f11, canon 75-300 5.6 at 75mm window sill of carView attachment 5353

Antelope and Irrigation Tubing 1/50, f11, cannon at 300mm, hood of carView attachment 5354

What's you doing? 1/20, f11, canon at 300mm, window sill of car, stopped in the middle of a country road, car turned offView attachment 5355

Here let me clean myself off so you can try again. 1/20, f11, canon at 300mm, window sill of car, stopped in the middle of a country roadView attachment 5356

Suggestions are always welcome. Tripod in the car but no opportunity to set up. Animals very spooky tonight. Animals cropped heavily couldn't get any closer.

Last edited:
I've always wanted to visit that corner of Oregon. Love the golden hour, you really captured the gold. Tough to capture the deer in that light. Nicely done.

Possibly antelope agility?

A new sport for thse agility photographers to capture. My daughter was very disappointed that they didn't slide under the fence. For those of you who don't know this, antelope don't jump over the fences they literally slide under them. I have only seen it once. It was pretty cool to see.

I have seen Malheur Butte so many times from a distance, but NEVER went up close to it. I should have!

Ron

A new sport for thse agility photographers to capture. My daughter was very disappointed that they didn't slide under the fence. For those of you who don't know this, antelope don't jump over the fences they literally slide under them. I have only seen it once. It was pretty cool to see.

I didn't know that.

It would be helpful to know what settings / setup you were using . . . looks like shutter speed may have gotten a little slow on those last two . . . tripod?

Using the car to steady the camera is good, but I'd definitely open that aperture up to the max your lens is capable of for most of those shots (especially for the deer). I don't really see a reason to close it down to f/11 except for the shot of the tractor, perhaps.

Those shutter speeds are just too low to expect clear images when zoomed in at all. If you are at 300mm, I'd aim for at least 1/250th with an image stabilized lens, if you have a good support too, like the car or a tripod. Hand held, you'd probably need it even faster.

You didn't mention what the ISO setting was, depending on your camera, you might be able to up that a bit as long as too much noise is not introduced.

When at all possible I try to not go max aperture, usually I go at least one stop down but in a situation like this where the images are going to be a bit blurry because the shutter speed is too slow, you are much better off, going full open.

iso was 400 for the animals and 800 for the sunset photos. Thanks for your feedback. I am still trying to wrap my head around playing with the manual functions. Have only been doing it for about a year. I am getting a better understanding about what they all mean but feedback of actual photos has helped me the most. Also white balance on cloudy.

Last edited:
Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back