Memphis Belle (6)

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

squirl033

Super Moderator
Staff member
a restored WWII B-17 bomber visited Seattle over the weekend (Renton Municipal Airport), so i took my son to go see it... it's the one used in the movie "Memphis Belle"; the original "Belle" is undergoing final restoration at the USAF museum in Dayton, OH, after many years of neglect. "Memphis Belle" became a "celebrity" during the war because it was the first US bomber to complete its allotted 25 combat missions, and it did it without the loss of a single crewman - no small feat considering the casualty rate the 8th Air Force had to endure!

didn't have the angle for good flight shots, but got some half-decent ones of take-off and some ground pics... mostly with the 5D2 and 24-105, a couple with the 7D and 100-400. they were offering 30-minute rides for $450, and had no shortage of takers. i went through the inside while it was on the ground - you wouldn't believe how cramped it is inside, even though it's a big airplane! and the bomb bay is MUCH smaller than i'd imagined!

IMG_6925sm_zpscfedf7fc.jpg

IMG_6928cropshsm_zps271a956b.jpg

IMG_6918sm_zps294c9a80.jpg

IMG_9283sm_zps1c1f35c4.jpg

IMG_9428shsm_zpsa315ca56.jpg

IMG_9358sm_zps81fb6d8d.jpg

you wouldn't believe how cramped it is inside, even though it's a big airplane! and the bomb bay is MUCH smaller than i'd imagined!

Good photos. I'm always amazed at how small those WWII era "big" bombers appear when parked next to a modern super jetliner like a 747.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back