Mile Post 18 Flash Shots

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
I usually post my railroad photos on several threads at our sister site of Railroadforums.com.
http://www.railroadforums.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?22-Railroad-Photos-and-Trip-Reports-Western-US

I am posting these photos here to show my experimenting with remote flash photography. They were taken from Sunset Ave. in Edmonds on 7/18/2013.

Two northbound freights.
01.JPG

02.JPG

The evening Vancouver, BC ---> Seattle, WA. Cascade.

South (leading) end.
03.JPG

North (trailing) end.
04.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
It must be hard to get the timing just right on that. I especially like the exposure on the first.
I wonder what the engineer thinks when the flash goes off. It must be unexpected.

The railroads have incorporated Scotchlite safety tape, which reflects light, into the diesel engines' paint schemes. If I mount the flash on the camera, the resulting shots show the reflection from the tape.

06.JPG
04.JPG

While the effect is interesting, , it is not what I want. To take a photo without the reflection, I must use a remote mounted flash. I am still experimenting and will probably have to break down and read the Speedlite's owner's manual.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bill, you're off to a good start. Like you, I think the first one is the best. The Amtrak lit up nicely though, probably since it's white.

I'm guessing the only real answer is more strobes. They could be lower priced slaves, but I'm guessing you'll need a few more to paint the side.

Although my 5D Mk III has an HDR feature, I cannot use it on a moving object. A graduated neutral density filter might work. I will definitely need more slave flash units to light up more of the lead engine.

At a minimum I want to get rid of the lit up grass in the foreground and have all the light concentrated on the lead engine.

A double exposure might work, or maybe an HDR done in post rather than in camera.

As for what he wants, I can't say for certain, but many railroad photographers are influenced by the work of O Winston Link. He used flash to do night photos of trains, and also to selectively light his subjects. You have probably seen his work, even if you're not a train fan.

I like lighting with speedlights but big car, truck or train shots with little strobe flashes will often create choppy, hard light in only small sections because you have to be close for power reasons and the light is so small in relation to the vehicle. I work for a car dealership taking photos of all their new/used inventory and have tried taking 3 speedlights out at night, one with a 48" shootthrough umbrella to increase the size of the source and it wasn't great. Plus wind isn't friendly with umbrellas.

My suggestion would be like what Bob said and add lights. If you placed 2 in front to get more power and coverge and 1 behind the train for silhouette light and to add separation, that might work. I personally like the one with the sunset but would move/add light MIXED with natural light. Just my thoughts.

Last edited:
To get the light off the grass and more on the engine, lift it up on a light stand and mount with a $3 flash bracket. One of my most used investments.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back