Miniature Look

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

BobH

Administrator
Staff member
You've probably seen those photos where you simulate a tilt/shift lens in Photoshop and make things look like a model railroad. That's a lot of fun, and I've done a few of them myself.

I've found an easier way to do it though.

Here's my simple two step method for creating the shots in camera:

1) Find a model railroad.

2) Take a photo.
BH1_7924.JPG

BH1_7122.jpg

BH1_7763.jpg

Last edited:
Ironically, while all the tilt/shift guys work hard to make their shots look like models, for these shots I tried hard to make them look real!

I love the pans Bob! Panning really gives a looks of realism to the models...in fact these are some of the most realistic looking model photos I've seen. Nice work!

Great shots, Bob!

You've probably seen those photos where you simulate a tilt/shift lens in Photoshop and make things look like a model railroad. That's a lot of fun, and I've done a few of them myself.

I've found an easier way to do it though.

Here's my simple two step method for creating the shots in camera:

1) Find a model railroad.

2) Take a photo.

And for those who simply must find a use for your tilt/shift lens, don't forget that you could also use it to add DOF to your model railroad shot, thereby making it look much more realistic. :D

Steve was the "engineer" for the second one. The third one may not be what you think it is though Steve. It's not your Amtrak consist. Believe it or not, that's N scale! It's just a touch softer than I'd like, but I love the green background blurs.

I think the key to these shots is having the engine be extremely sharp. Lighting is also critical, and having enough background blur to make it obvious that it's intentional. Even a little bit of softness on the subject breaks the illusion, at least for me, and makes them look like toy trains. Granted, there are still some details that give the shot away, but if it's crisp, the look seems to work pretty well.

Last edited:
I recognized the 123 as "not mine", mine, acutally Jacob's, has an engineer in the window.

I did wonder where you took it. With a little motion blurr, N scale looks almost as good as HO.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back