Mistique

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

CNelson

It's still raining outside so I'm staying dry and playing in my digital darkroom. This image was inspired by an art book I saw in my accountant's office while waiting to have my taxes done. He was a great painter but I don't remember his name. His thing was to put realistic objects in an abstract setting. I decided to try something like that with photography and photoshop. I came up with a grungy collage with images to suggest lines of thought but not leading you anywhere in particular. I like it but it's not for everyone...if anyone besides me.

Chuck

p455425795-4.jpg

Thanks....you sound like a picker.

Chuck

Haha.

You bet I am!

I played in a little bluegrass duo for quite some time.

Fun short story-
My bandmate and I were driving a load of trash to the local dump one day, when we saw a guitar body leaning up against the rail. Someone was obviously trashing it. We took a look and realized that the neck was separating from the body. And after a little further inspection, we realized it was a 1952 00-18 Martin! So, being mighty crafty, we took it home, bolted the neck back to the body, and voila!

We still rock that acoustic like no tomorrow. It may perhaps be the best sounding acoustic I have ever played.

Love me some Martin!

Thanks guys. I loved the guitar story and it looks like "ejones" has one too. I bought the second guitar (in background played by my grandson) for $25 and a collector Case pocket knife.

I used to play in a bluegrass band too. There's a gallery on my website dedicated to bluegrass...mostly dedicated to the Scott Valley Bluegrass Festival in northern CA. If you click on this link it will take you to last year's festival with images starting with the street jam on the day before. The music in the background was written and played by a friend. He made the recording with a multitrack recorder. He is playing every instrument you hear and singing all the parts you hear. He has more talent in his little finger than I could ever have. Enjoy: http://www.chucknelsonphotography.com/p355502780/slideshow

Chuck

heck, i don't play ANYTHING, and even i've heard of Martins... one of my friends in high school played - had a Gibson 12-string, and did a helluva job with Classical Gas - but he was always wanting a Martin acoustic...

Chuck, can you share how you did this? I was asked about doing an image for a cd cover. He's not ready yet but its not too early to start planning. I'd like to do something more creative as the idea of him sitting there with his guitar seems boring.

Chuck, can you share how you did this?.

Sure "E"....I didn't record my exact method but I can give you some ideas and I'm sure you can go from there. My process was somewhat trial and error, I added and deleted layers and images until I got something I liked.

I started by creating a new 8x10 file at 300 PPI. I filled it with a warm earthy color. I then took a photograph of dirty cement and placed it over the background layer and played with opacity until I got a texture I liked. I then used dodge and burn tools to increase contrast. I knew I wanted a musical instrument so I added a layer with the guitar neck and head that I had taken before. The guitar was already isolated with a transparent background. I turned it into a smart object and sized and played with placement. I often convert to smart object until I have an added image element sized and placed then convert back to raster so I can play with it. I duplicated the guitar layer and ran the opacity of the lower layer way down then put a mask on the upper guitar and used a black brush to erase much of it so the faded guitar below came through but leaving the upper part of the head (where you see CFMartin) fairly clear. I used a low opacity brush to make the changes slowly so I could control the effect.

Next I added the key image. I occasionally scan objects and turn them into jpegs then mask them to make the background transparent. These objects can be anything that fits on my scanner...such as keys, paperclips, buttons, coins, etc.. I can then have them for uses such as this when I think they might work. I put a drop shadown on the key.

I then added the statue....something we inherited and was around the house so I shot it with my Canon and isolated it from the background (background transparent). I sized and placed it where I wanted it and put a mask on it and erased lower portions...actually I turned them transparent.

I added the rose....also an image already with a transparent background but left the opacity at 100%. I wanted it to be bold and float on top of everything else.

Finally I took an image of my grandson playing my "other" Martin....with background already erased or turned transparent and added him at the bottom. I converted him to black and white and ran the opacity way down so I could see the texture coming through him.

By masking out the lower portion of the statue, it looks like his hand on the fingerborad is in front of the statue but it's actually behind.

Oops, I almost forgot, it took an old picture of clouds at night with the moon shing through them and placed it just above the background layer then ran the opacity way down...it added a mottled look. You could probably do this in photoshop with FILTER - RENDER - CLOUDS. My grandson was on top of this layer.

I moved layers around to decide which sequence looked best and played with opacity, filters and masks and then as a final touch, I went down to the background layer and added a black to clear gradient from the bottom left up to the top right....this worked well.

I had a very general idea where I wanted to go but the final arrangement of images, fades, filters, etc. was trial and error in that I would do something and if it didn't look like what I wanted I would delete it and try something else. In the end I had 9 layers of images and effects.

I've rambled through this description much as I did in creating the image. Hopefully something will give you and idea or help in some way.

Your CD cover project sounds like a fun challenge. Share it with us when you're done if you can.

PS: Thank you Jancie
PPS: Wow Squirrel....Classical Gas, I'm impressed....I don't think he would want a Martin for that but who wouldn't want a Martin.

Chuck

Last edited:
Wow Chuck... great photos of the Bluegrass Festival and a wonderful walk down memory lane. I lived in the Scott Valley from 1985-1992 in both Etna and Callahan. I loved the shots around Scott Valley Drugs and the corner deli. A little known area, off the beaten path, and an incredibly beautiful place with lots of small town charm. Thanks!

Thanks WildWi11y.....I do love the area up there and Etna is a rich slice of rural small town Americana. I grew up in Siskiyou County in the Big Springs area and still have a house there. Perhaps you can make the Scott Valley Bluegrass Festival up there some time. It's in July.

Chuck

Thanks guys. I loved the guitar story and it looks like "ejones" has one too. I bought the second guitar (in background played by my grandson) for $25 and a collector Case pocket knife.

I used to play in a bluegrass band too. There's a gallery on my website dedicated to bluegrass...mostly dedicated to the Scott Valley Bluegrass Festival in northern CA. If you click on this link it will take you to last year's festival with images starting with the street jam on the day before. The music in the background was written and played by a friend. He made the recording with a multitrack recorder. He is playing every instrument you hear and singing all the parts you hear. He has more talent in his little finger than I could ever have. Enjoy: http://www.chucknelsonphotography.com/p355502780/slideshow

Chuck

I've got the tune on right now, Chuck. Awesome. My wife is liking it, as well :)

Don't you hate those obscenely talented musicians!? My old duo partner was that way. I'm a fine picker, but that guy can pick up any instrument, and in less than a week play it better than I could ever dream of...lol. When we would play a gig, he'd have a banjo, mandolin, guitar, harmonica, and fiddle sitting next to him.

Good high and lonesome times.

I thought you might like it.....I really love the tune and the way the guitar and mandolin wrap themselves around each other...musically.

If I were accused of being a musician there wouldn't be enough evidence to convict me.....so I take pictures and pick for myself these days.

Chuck

I thought you might like it.....I really love the tune and the way the guitar and mandolin wrap themselves around each other...musically.

If I were accused of being a musician there wouldn't be enough evidence to convict me.....so I take pictures and pick for myself these days.

Chuck

LOL. Fantastic. I feel the same way sometimes. BUT, that doesn't keep us from trying and loving it:)

I'll have to check out that festival some year. It looks like a beautiful old town.

Thanks Chuck. At least I understand most of that. Hopefully when/if the time comes I can do something. What intrigued me most was the texture. That I think I can do now. :)

What intrigued me most was the texture. That I think I can do now. :)

I'm sure you can do it. Create the background layer to the size you want then add a separate layer with texture so you can adjust the opacity to your liking. You can add texture directly on your background from FILTER - TEXTURE but I prefer to made a duplicate background and put the texture there so I can "tune" it with the opacity slider. You can probably find free textures on the internet or photograph different textures and patters to build up your own texture inventory. You can't go wrong...play with it, if you don't like it, delete and try something else.

There may be people with more experience than I who can chime in here with texture suggestions.

Chuck

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back