More Serious Marina Park Eagle Action

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sunday (2/16) the eagle action was hot and heavy at Marina Park despite high winds and lousy light. One eagle was perched on the piling eating something when a second eagle swooped in and chased it off the piling.

It flew south with its prey,
01.JPG

then returned to the piling while a third eagle, which I presume to be its mate, flew in to dispatch the would-be thief.
02.JPG

Most of the best action shots were out of focus, such as this one where all three eagles are visible.
03.JPG

The first eagle reclaimed the piling while the other two were flying overhead.
04.JPG

05.JPG

Last edited:
Overhead dueling.
06.JPG

07.JPG

Eventually one eagle headed east while the other flew south around Pt. Edwards, leaving the first eagle alone to eat in peace.
08.JPG

I could tell the prey was a bird as the feathers flew when the eagle bit into the carcass.
09.JPG

10.JPG

Last edited:
The wind and the waves picked up.
11.JPG

So much so that the eagle flew to the low trees across the railroad tracks to finish eating.
12.JPG

13.JPG

The evil minions of the Dark Lord arrived to harass the eagle.
14.JPG

After finishing off the carcass, the eagle cleaned it beak and flew south around Pt. Edwards.
15.JPG

Although the eagles were plentiful and photogenic, shooting conditions were miserable with high winds, poor light, and a little rain.

Last edited:
Wow, Bill - you braved quite a day for these! Great shots, particularly considering the lighting and weather!

Terry, Janine, Daren, and I spent Thursday (2/20) afternoon at Marina Park photographing wildlife action. Four eagles have been making regular appearances in the area: the Pt. Edwards pair, one adult, and a juvie.

One of the Pt. Edwards adults was eating a fish on the family perch when a second eagle toting a fish flew by with the other Pt. Edwards eagle in hot pursuit.
01.JPG

02.JPG

03.JPG

04.JPG

05.JPG

11.JPG

I assumed the eagle doing the chasing was the mate of the one on the perch as the perched eagle did not react when it flew by.
12.JPG

13.JPG

14.JPG

15.JPG

We relocated to the picnic tables at the end of the parking lot for one last sequence of one of the pair returning to the perch with another fish.
16.JPG

17.JPG

18.JPG

19.JPG

20.JPG

Here is more eagle action from earlier on 2/20/14. I suspect there is an unattached adult roaming the air space between the Pt. Edwards and Pt. Wells pairs' territories that is seeking a mate.

21.JPG

22.JPG

23.JPG

24.JPG

Add juvies to the mix and we are getting quite a few resident eagles. I wonder how many our area can sustain.
25.JPG

Last edited:
The Pt. Edwards eagle action picked up Tuesday (2/25) afternoon, which was sunny for a change.

The two flew into a tree above the railroad tracks as a train rolled by. I moved in for closer photos after the train passed.
01.JPG

One eagle left and flew circles over the condos. I believe it was the male due its longer, narrower wings.
02.JPG

The other remained in the tree to eat something.
03.JPG

The second eagle left the tree and flew over the tracks close to me. I believe it was the female due to its shorter, wider wings.
04.JPG

I think she had caught a bird.
05.JPG

Last edited:
I had a hunch that the female might have returned to the nest to finish off the meal in peace and quiet, so I drove up for a look.

She had definitely been eating, as her beak was quite bloody.
06.JPG

It turned out to be anything but peaceful and quiet as a juvie flew past the nest and perched on an adjacent tree to the south.
07.JPG

08.JPG

09.JPG

10.JPG

Last edited:
The female did not like the presence of the juvie and screeched most of the time it was there.
11.JPG

Her screeches attracted the male, who flew in and landed in the nest. The juvie is barely visible in the right corner of this photo.
12.JPG

13.JPG

The male joined the sreechfest.
14.JPG

He flew out of the nest and landed in the sentry tree to the north of the nest tree.
15.JPG

Last edited:
The juvie left its perch. Compare the amount of white on this juvie's head with the juvie in the photos taken on 2/20. This may be the 2011 Pt. Edwards eaglet, while the one in the photo of 2/20 may be one of the 2013 eaglets.
16.JPG

It flew past the male in the sentry tree.
17.JPG

18.JPG

One adult (I'm not sure which) gave chase.
19.JPG

20.JPG

Last edited:
The juvie flew out of sight and both adults wound up together.

21.JPG

22.JPG

23.JPG

The juvie returned for a second lap which set off the adults once again.
24.JPG

25.JPG

At this point I left the eagles to their (family?) squabble.

Last edited:
Fantastic action shots! The one with the blood on the tail might be my favorite... I just love watching eagles in action.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back