Mountain Goats in Western WA?

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

BobH

Administrator
Staff member
Rocky's post about Hurricane Ridge reminded me of something I've been meaning to look into...

Is there anywhere in Western Washington where you have a reasonable chance to see mountain goats?

I seem to recall you can see them in the Yakima River Canon near Ellensburg, but that's a bit fair, and the few times I've seen them there it's always been "OK, see that dot...."

I'm looking for someplace that's not quite as far, and/or that has a chance to see them at a moderately close range, say something where a 300 mm will give a decent shot of them.

Suggestions for locations and time of year would be appreciated.

Do you mean bighorn sheep? I've never seen Mtn goats in the Yak River Canyon, though plenty of bighorn. Not meant to imply you don't know your ungulates :)
Every time I've hiked Mt Elinor, there are Mtn Goats near the top. Definitely close enough for shots with a good tele. Elinor is near the Staircase area of the Park, though in the bordering National Forest, and it'a a fairly short hike with outstanding views. Only been there in the summer, so that seems to be an excellent goat viewing season.

Last edited:
I know nothing of Western Washington, but this thread reminds me of something pretty cool.

Just south of Creswell, on I-5, is an old quarry that you can just off on the west side of the road. Some years ago, someone pointed out to me that there were goats living up on the jagged rock cliffs above the quarry. I've checked ever since, and they are still living up there. I imagine that they must be breeding, as well, as there always little baby goats in the spring. I have never put my bino's up to get a closer look, but they are white, and by situation, "mountain goats" in my book. I've always thought that someone with enough reach could take some amazing photos of them.

Thanks for letting me sidetrack your thread, Bob :)

You stand a pretty good chance of seeing them on Goat Island Mtn on the east side of Mt Rainier. Hike to summer land along the wonderland trail to get there. If you go higher on the same trail over panhandle gap you can spot them sometimes on Sarvent Ridge near the Cowlitz Chimnies.

I've seen herds of them at Berkely Park on Rainier, Spray park too. So up close and personal at Ingalls Lake I could have used my wide angle.

You can see Big Horn sheep every winter at the Oaksprings feeding station near Yakima. For mountain goats, lots of hikes in The Olympics often have them. Mt Ellinor or Mt Wasington often have them. On Mt Washington I had two of them licking my backpack and brushing up against me.

Last Mtn Goats I have seen were in Glacier Park in Montana and Alberta. I know, its too far, just kidding! haa

It's a hike (although a very short one) to Headlight Basin and from what I understand you take more care in avoiding the goats than finding the goats. I'm going there in a month, expect photos if I find some cute babies :)

Do you mean bighorn sheep? I've never seen Mtn goats in the Yak River Canyon, though plenty of bighorn. Not meant to imply you don't know your ungulates :)

Every time I've hiked Mt Elinor, there are Mtn Goats near the top. Definitely close enough for shots with a good tele. Elinor is near the Staircase area of the Park, though in the bordering National Forest, and it'a a fairly short hike with outstanding views. Only been there in the summer, so that seems to be an excellent goat viewing season.

It's not the ability to tell the difference between a bighorn and a goat that's lacking, it's the ability to recall what those tiny dots I saw high on the cliffs were. You're right of course, they're bighorn, and now that you mention it, I recall that.

I'm interested in both actually, and would like to find good shots of either one. With as much time as I spend in Mt Rainier National Park, you think Id see some goats up there, but nothing more than a few rare glimpses.

It's a hike (although a very short one) to Headlight Basin and from what I understand you take more care in avoiding the goats than finding the goats. I'm going there in a month, expect photos if I find some cute babies :)

OK, so where's headlight basin?

Where I raft, every trip is a bighorn sheep sighting (Hell's Canyon, Snake River; Middle Fork of the Salmon; Main Salmon; Green River, Utah just to name a few). So much so, my children are like oh yeah so what we have only seen 1,000 in our lifetime. I would love to see a Mountain Goat in the wild however.
Found a website listing habitat and region. Good Luck spotting one.
http://www.defenders.org/wildlife_and_habitat/wildlife/mountain_goat.php?lb_v=7

Last edited:
Yep, that's it. From Seattle about a 2.5 hour drive to the trailhead and maybe a 3 mile hike to the basin with moderate elevation gain.

OK, thanks... By the way, since your description of a 3 mile hike is "...a very short one" remind me to ask for some more details before taking off on a "long hike" with you... :)

OK, thanks... By the way, since your description of a 3 mile hike is "...a very short one" remind me to ask for some more details before taking off on a "long hike" with you... :)

It's actually closer to 3.5 miles one way. About 2000 feet of elevation gain. I did it last year, larches are spectacular in fall up there. It's not a bad day hike.

It's actually closer to 3.5 miles one way. About 2000 feet of elevation gain. I did it last year, larches are spectacular in fall up there. It's not a bad day hike.

3 miles or 3-1/2 miles, that's pretty close. That's not a bad hike, but I'd classify it as "moderate" not "very short", but then again I'm not a serious hiker.

i did one of those hikes with my son 2 years ago. Walked like an 90 year old for 4 days when I was done.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back