mountain views

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

squirl033

Super Moderator
Staff member
went up to Baker Lake yesterday... clouds started moving in late, and the sky turned to crap, but i managed a few decent shots...

Baker, 5D, 24-135 @ 135mm, 1/60 @ f/13

IMG_7180rdmx_filteredsm.jpg

Shuksan, 40D, 400mm, 1/800 @ f/16

IMG_6738sm.jpg

Shuksan across Baker Lake, 5D, 24-135 @ 69mm, 1/500 @ f/13

ShuksanfromBakerLakesm.png

All three are extremely nice Rocky!

I didn't know you could get such good shots from the lake...I've tried before and could only see the tops. Must have been in the wrong place!!!

Last edited:
thanks, Barb! :D i'd never been up there before... i've been up to the other side several times, to photograph Mt. Shuksan from Picture Lake, but for some reason i just made it up to Baker Lake. i think i'll go back in a couple of months and see how it looks with the trees leafed out, maybe head up early to get some morning light... might even get a decent reflection in the lake as well! ;)

thanks, Barb! :D i'd never been up there before... i've been up to the other side several times, to photograph Mt. Shuksan from Picture Lake, but for some reason i just made it up to Baker Lake. i think i'll go back in a couple of months and see how it looks with the trees leafed out, maybe head up early to get some morning light... might even get a decent reflection in the lake as well! ;)

I've got to wonder what it will look like in a week or two... Once the trees are all leafed out, you'll have a solid band of green on the far side. Personally, I think what you have right now makes for a more interesting photo. So I'm wondering what it would look like just as the decidious trees budded out, still that light yellow green, with the evergreens being a dark green color. If you could get a contrast between the two, that might be cool and provide more interest... (I hope!)

i'm thinking a trip up there in late September or early October is also warranted... the fall colors should really make these scenes pop!

i'm thinking a trip up there in late September or early October is also warranted... the fall colors should really make these scenes pop!

Definitely... Get up there in the very early morning, with the lake flat and still, and with the fall colors bright, you'd have a great shot!

How long does it take you to get up there? The trick with fall leaves is that sometimes they don't last very long. You almost need to keep checking to see when they're at their peak.

Definitely... Get up there in the very early morning, with the lake flat and still, and with the fall colors bright, you'd have a great shot!

How long does it take you to get up there? The trick with fall leaves is that sometimes they don't last very long. You almost need to keep checking to see when they're at their peak.

it's about 100 miles, so right around 90 minutes. far enough that i'd rather not do it every weekend, but close enough to check every couple of weeks or so. usually the colors peak up that way a little sooner than down here in the flatlands, so about the end of September, or maybe first week of October would be about right...

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back