New here

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

ejones

Wellllll..... I've known of this forum for 3 or 4 years now, but chose to visit a different forum also dedicated to the same geographical area of the US. However, things there have... well..... lets just say when a fisherman realizes his favorite fishing hole has dried up he moves on. And so it is with me and that forum.

I've noticed that some of my friends from that forum have also migrated over here... Good to see y'all here and I'm looking forward to the continued interaction and learning from those I know and those I will soon know.

Most of my efforts are on shooting seniors and weddings.

I got my first camera with the help of my grandfather when I was just 20 years old. That was more years ago now that I care to admit. However, auto focus was a dream at that time and we used a recording media called "film". :)

Those that have seen me in person will know why my avatar is what it is. Just know that this guy is my great great grandfather's brother.

As my signature line says it's ok to critique any photo's I post here. I appreciate the views of others and learn from them, even if I don't agree. You can even be blunt Ernst. :) (Yes, he is a nice guy and loves to impart knowledge and help people grow)

Expect me to post a few how to's from time to time as well.

Welcome...............I still dont think Ive ever been approved over there????

All for the good I believe this place has been a blessing in the short time I have been here. Good discussions great critiques and they are even kind to Wacko's like me......LOL

I hope you find this a good home

Welcome, Mr. Jones. I'm relatively new here, myself. I, like you, started in film long ago. It's a whole new, different world, today.

(I still shoot film, though. ;) )

Pops

Welcome, Mr. Jones. I'm relatively new here, myself. I, like you, started in film long ago. It's a whole new, different world, today.

(I still shoot film, though. ;) )

Pops

I still have a Cosmorex SE in mothballs and TriX in the frig:D

WELCOME!!! WELCOME!!! I love seeing portraiture and am looking forward to yours. :D

Hello, and welcome aboard! Glad you found us. Just a reminder, you don't have to choose just one forum, you can participate in as many as you'd like, at least as far as I'm concerned, so no need to choose between this one and another site.

One minor clarification, you couldn't have known about this site for 3 or 4 years, as we've only been online since Spring of 2009, we started in mid-March.

As for other sites, I was a member of a couple myself, but they weren't quite as active as I'd like, and they were also missing some features I felt were important, most notably the gallery section. So, since I couldn't find one I liked, I built my own. :)

Maybe times just fun when I'm having flies. Seems like it's been 3 or so years. ?????

I do participate in two other forums, one on a daily basis and another on a more "drive by" basis - meaning just from time to time. The site I've left just seems to be dying....only one message left in about 36 hours or so.

I do find that it's great to have contact with local photog's. Doing get together's and attending workshops etc.

Activity creates activity. I'm lucky to have a core group here that works hard to keep the discussions going. They keep things moving through the slow times, and their persistence over the last year helped the place grow and expand.

Nice to see you here E! :) I really enjoy this forum and as soon as I have a minute to breathe I'm going to resize and upload my images for the gallery :) It really is nice to have a "local" forum. I personally think this place is great Bob :p

Thank you Katie. I've got several things in my favor here.

First of all, is a good staff that is helping me keep the place going. Without that, this place would be "Bob's Blog" and nobody would care. ;)

I've also run numerous forums for many years, so I know how it works and how to design them. My first "forum" was actually a dial-up BSS system for Amiga computers, before the web. (Those of you who are wondering what that means, it's the internet version of "I walked to school, in the snow, 5 miles, uphill both ways, Sonny!" ;)

I also care about the forum, and check in all the time. Helping the members and listening to their comments and suggestions is what makes a forum work.

BTW - Before I started this site, I offered to buy one of the other existing NW sites (for a pretty nominal fee, I do this as a hobby, and I'm not rich) but the sysadmin wasn't interested at my low price. The valuation was based on a fairly standard internet value $1 per active user, but for a niche forum the resulting number is pretty small.

Last edited:
Thank you Katie. I've got several things in my favor here.

First of all, is a good staff that is helping me keep the place going. Without that, this place would be "Bob's Blog" and nobody would care. ;)

I've also run numerous forums for many years, so I know how it works and how to design them. My first "forum" was actually a dial-up BSS system for Amiga computers, before the web. (Those of you who are wondering what that means, it's the internet version of "I walked to school, in the snow, 5 miles, uphill both ways, Sonny!" ;)

I also care about the forum, and check in all the time. Helping the members and listening to their comments and suggestions is what makes a forum work.

BTW - Before I started this site, I offered to buy one of the other existing NW sites (for a pretty nominal fee, I do this as a hobby, and I'm not rich) but the sysadmin wasn't interested at my low price. The valuation was based on a fairly standard internet value $1 per active user, but for a niche forum the resulting number is pretty small.

I think we are all glad that things worked out the way they did!

I also care about the forum, and check in all the time.
That is the key and keeps things going well. If you ever find yourself not caring then it's time to turn it over to someone else.

There are tons of photo forums on the web, but the value of a local one can't be beat. I've learned lots from just getting together with others and shooting and b.s'ing before/during and after workshops.

I agree that the value of this forum is the fact that it's local. You're right, there are a huge amount of photography forums on the web. Many of them have been around a long time and have huge budgets. Lots of luck competing against places like Nikonians and Scott Kelby.

My goal is to provide a place for Northwest photographer to talk about our region and exchange useful information. A post about when Daffodils are blooming is much more useful to me than info on when the flowers are blooming in Texas. They may be lovely, but I can't drive there on the weekend and shoot.

A couple of local photographers who participate on my railroad forum encouraged me to start this place (Robert and Steve). They agreed that it should have a local focus, and it should cover all aspects of photography.

A little over a year later, we're continuing to grow and expand and attract new members. There more we get, the easier it will become as the activity will attract others.

As we continue to grow, we'll expand the meetups and workshops.

So please keep telling your friends, and also if you haven't done so, please "like" our page on Facebook.

Thank you!

Hey E, welcome to the board
I think I've been here since the beginning, feels like it anyway LOL
where are you located? full timer? amature? in between?
give us all the juicy details LOL

Part timer in Snohomish county outside of Everett. Got a new puppy coming in a few weeks so will need the inside scoop on how to get those good dog pics.

well, I do know the scoop, (and how to scoop the poop too)

What kind of puppy? how old? what are your plans for it?

I'll be in Auburn this weekend if you want to stop by & pick my brain :)

Last edited:
She's a brindle colored Boston. Not sure the exact age when we bring her home. The breeder will determine that when he feels it is ready. I think some place around 8 weeks though. We're not into show or agility so she's just a good house pet.

Sorry can't make it down tjiss weekend. I'll throw questions at you on this board when the time comes.

Thanks

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back