Nisqually NWR - Deb's Shots

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

AngelDeb

Mrs H
Staff member
Visited the Nisqually Wildlife Refuge 2 weekends in a row. The first weekend I got one keeper shot. I took alot of photos and had setting wrong on my camera. Had to go back and try again. Did much better the second try. Was a bit colder the second weekend though.

I said it was cold outside have icicles to prove it.
View attachment 5662

A busy beaver has been working hard on this tree.
View attachment 5663

Got a photo of a Bittern. Did not know we had them here.
View attachment 5664

A close up of the Bittern
View attachment 5665

Last edited:
I found a friend, I though he would be skittish and run, but he liked the photo shoot we had together.

Some more shots, a Great Blue Heron, a Sandpiper and Hooded Mergansers.

Last edited by a moderator:
That squirrel was quite the ham. It's obvious he comes cheap too. He works for peanuts, literally. (Or so I'm guessing, there was no mistaking the "Come on, feed the cute little Squirrel!" vibe he had going on...)

that's three different people who've gotten shots of a bittern down there... i definitely have to make a trip there sometime soon!

that's three different people who've gotten shots of a bittern down there... i definitely have to make a trip there sometime soon!

Well, it's three people but only two visits, Deb was snapping her photos as I was snapping mine. That said, it does sound as if he's a regular.

Nice stuff!

I'm amazed at how active the beaver has been out there this past year. There are signs of it all over the place, especially on the the west side boardwalk. I actually got some photos of it back in December(?).

This has been a really good year for bittern there as well, as your pictures show!

Dave

Nice stuff!

I'm amazed at how active the beaver has been out there this past year. There are signs of it all over the place, especially on the the west side boardwalk. I actually got some photos of it back in December(?).

This has been a really good year for bittern there as well, as your pictures show!

Dave

Dave,

Well, I can't speak specifically about Nisqually NWR, but don't forget that beavers are large rodents, and reproduce on a regular basis. They're not as bad as mice, I think they only have one litter per year, but they do that every year, and the numbers start to add up. The youngsters will move on and look for their own territory, which may well explain why you see signs all over the refuge. It could be several generations worth of beavers now. They typicall keep expanding until the territory they've chosen can't support any more beavers, then they move on in search of new areas.

I was surprised that the beaver chose that particular tree. It's not overly large, in fact it's almost like a big bush, but the trunk is quite big as you can see. Why would he choose that one, instead of the many smaller diameter trees nearby? Is he working on a log cabin? :D

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back