Nisqually Owls

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

landscapes&birds

It was a windy and very wet weekend at Nisqually NWR, but I still got some good views of the three great horned owlets and an adult great horned owl (who blended in with the trees quite well). Here's a photo of one of the owlets.

IMG_9976_e_s2.JPG

Thanks for posting. Nice photo!

Seems early for owlets, what the heck is going on with that tree branch? Is that the nest area or a cache location? The owl doesn't really have the down feathers either, is it flying?

Chad

That is the nest area, below is a photo of the nest cavity. I visited last year around this time and there were two owlets, and they seemed to have significantly more down feathers. I'm guessing they hatched a week earlier this year. One of them did some short flights/hops around the nest area, and another was stretching its wings. I've only been birding for a year and a half, so I'm no expert on owl nesting, so maybe someone who knows more about owls than I can answer your questions better.

The nest:
IMG_0265_eS.JPG

The adult:
IMG_0295_eS.JPG

Last edited:
I followed last year's Nisqually great horned owlets via Tweeters. They hatched in January and had fledged by President's Day weekend when I stopped by to try to photograph them.

That first one is looking a little miffed at the weather. They must be earlier. I was looking at some old GHO owlet photos from my neck of the woods and they are much later.

Are those guts on the tree limb? :b

That first one is looking a little miffed at the weather. They must be earlier. I was looking at some old GHO owlet photos from my neck of the woods and they are much later.

Are those guts on the tree limb? :b

I followed last year's Nisqually great horned owlets via Tweeters. They hatched in January and had fledged by President's Day weekend when I stopped by to try to photograph them.
Nice to know, Bill. I don't think I have seen anything about the owlets of Nisqually this year on Tweeters. I'm glad we have an insider here.;)

Janice, over past several years the GHOwlets have made themselves noticeable towards the end of March at Tryon Creek in Portland, is that what you have?

This was the scene during the last week of March last year. They still have the down feathers. If memory serves correctly, they were out of the nest by the 30th. BTW, the GHO's of Tryon aren't using the nest from last year. It seems they have been changing locations around the park the past few years. I have to go and locate this year's nest, if there is one.

These were taken on two different days.
4077493_orig.jpg

4562845_orig.jpg

Last edited:
I think those might be snakes on the tree limb (they look too big to be worms), it looks like there's bird feathers as well. I also hadn't seen anything on Tweeters this year - I just happened to be going through my archive and noticed that my owlet photos from last year were around this time :D. How long do the owlets stay around the nest after they fledge?

I have not read anything on Tweeters this year about the Nisqually owlets. There is a group which tours Nisqually every Wednesday and posts up their sightings Wednesday night or Thursday morning on Tweeters. I should read their reports more thoroughly.

great shot Bill... I have been meaning to get back there but waiting for better weather... Your a true photographer getting out in this weather...LOL

I have not read anything on Tweeters this year about the Nisqually owlets. There is a group which tours Nisqually every Wednesday and posts up their sightings Wednesday night or Thursday morning on Tweeters. I should read their reports more thoroughly.

The Wednesday Nisqually group reported tonight on Tweeters that there are three great horned owlets near the nest tree. They did not venture out today because of the presence of several eagles.

great shot Bill... I have been meaning to get back there but waiting for better weather... Your a true photographer getting out in this weather...LOL

Not my shot if I am the "Bill" you were thinking of. It would be nice if everyone included at least their first name in their signature line to avoid confusion.

Not my shot if I am the "Bill" you were thinking of. It would be nice if everyone included at least their first name in their signature line to avoid confusion.

Yeah, just like how you do it and still there is some confusion as to whom took the pictures or even who started the thread.

I myself, have ended my posts with my first name and yet for some reason on multiple occasions someone comments, then somebody else posts and gets confused and gives credit to photos to the previous poster who is replying to my thread; or I comment on a user's post and someone comes along and gives me credit for the original poster's photos.

I get it! it's an honest mistake! Keep sending me comments PNWphotos.com members!

I always read the original poster's username along with those who reply to the thread and double check names before hitting the reply button. I'm careful about doing this as I don't want to take away credit from another person's work.

Chad

Last edited:
Terry and I ran into Rocky today at Marina Beach. I wanted to give Rocky a bad time, so I greeted him as "Chad." ;)

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back