Nisquirrelly NWR

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

BobH

Administrator
Staff member
As we were walking through the Nisqually National Wildlife Refuge, I noticed a squirrel. I quickly froze, and motioned to Deb that she should stop. After all, I didn't want to scare the little guy....

I quickly snapped off a shot before he had a chance to run.

View attachment 5602

Last edited:
Squirrel: "OK, how's this look?"

View attachment 5606

Bob: That's not bad, but I want the classic pose. Turn bit to the right, straighten up, give me an over the shoulder look, and fluff that tail a bit more please!

Squirrel: "OK... So, which one of us is nuts?"

View attachment 5607

Perfect... Got it, thanks!

Deb also got some really neat shots, hopefully she'll post them soon.

Last edited:
Very cute! :)

I noticed critters in state parks tend to be tamer... the gray jays up on Hurricane Ridge would fly right onto our table as soon as we turned our backs.

I've heard stories about Gray Jays, aka "Camp Robber Birds" actually taking bits of donuts right out of people's hands in certain, un-named national parks featuring large volcanic mountains.

Of course I would never condone such an activity (cough, cough), but it was great fun to watch! Sort of a benign version of Alfred Hitchcock's The Birds. Uh, err, I mean, somebody told me it was fun... Yeah, that's what I meant. ;)

All joking aside, it really isn't good practice to feed the animals. Last spring we had a fox run right up to the car at Mt Rainier National Park and put his paw on the side looking in the window. He was begging like a puppy, and it was extremely obvious he was used to mooching scraps. That's not good for the people or the animals. Even if he doesn't bite somebody when he feels threatened as some kid trys to grab the "doggie", what happens when the tourists leave for the winter? If he doesn't know how to forage for himself, then what will he do?

Last edited:
Squirrels seem to think they immune to the "Do not feed the animals" rule.

He was quite the poser, certainly you can expect a call from his agent.

Yeah, we don't feed the animals on purpose... we'd set out our picnic spread and they were flying down and stealing crackers off the table.

I've seen steller's jays at campsites land on neighboring camp stoves and eat scrambled eggs out of the pan, and when I was a kid we had an ostrich at the Wild Animal Park stick his head in our open car window to get my popcorn.

I still don't like those birds.

Best ever was Sea World... a seagull flew down and swiped a half a rotisserie chicken right off a woman's tray. She was holding the tray, walking toward a table, and turned her head for a moment to find her friend. The people in the restaurant laughed, but were kind enough to replace her chicken lunch.

We ate prison-style (hovering over our trays) after we witnessed that.

I've heard stories about Gray Jays, aka "Camp Robber Birds" actually taking bits of donuts right out of people's hands in certain, un-named national parks featuring large volcanic mountains.

Of course I would never condone such an activity (cough, cough), but it was great fun to watch! Sort of a benign version of Alfred Hitchcock's The Birds. Uh, err, I mean, somebody told me it was fun... Yeah, that's what I meant. ;)

All joking aside, it really isn't good practice to feed the animals. Last spring we had a fox run right up to the car at Mt Rainier National Park and put his paw on the side looking in the window. He was begging like a puppy, and it was extremely obvious he was used to mooching scraps. That's not good for the people or the animals. Even if he doesn't bite somebody when he feels threatened as some kid trys to grab the "doggie", what happens when the tourists leave for the winter? If he doesn't know how to forage for himself, then what will he do?

i've seen "camp robbers" perch on a finger, even on the end of a long zoom lens. even 50 years ago when i was a kid camping with my folks at Hurricane Ridge, they would come up on the picnic table and steal crumbs right off our plates...

but you're right... especially with larger animals like foxes, etc., feeding them is a terrible idea. it makes them dependent on humans and they lose the ability to forage for themselves. and, of course, the risk that one of them might inadvertently (or not) bite someone out of surprise or eagerness for the treats...

i've seen "camp robbers" perch on a finger, even on the end of a long zoom lens. even 50 years ago when i was a kid camping with my folks at Hurricane Ridge, they would come up on the picnic table and steal crumbs right off our plates...

Are those sunflower seeds you're holding, Miss? Mind sharing with me?

Note the Stellar Jay in the background, who watched the antics, but was not interested in getting any closer.

View attachment 5608

I agree with you on the larger animals. I don't feel so bad giving a bird a few seeds, it's what they eat naturally. Admittedly, I probably shouldn't do that either.

Up at the Mount Rainier Scenic RR, we have crows who have apparently learned the train means lunch is served. They show up when we arrive at the lake, perch in the trees nearby, and as soon as the whistle blows for departure, even before we start moving, they swoop down to the picnic tables and vacuum up any leftovers. Since we serve popcorn, they can usually find at least a snack.

Last edited:
Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back