Oregon Coast Ideas?

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

BobH

Administrator
Staff member
I'm heading for the Oregon Coast in a couple weeks, and going to be there for two days. I'll be in the Tillamook to Florence area, and I'm wondering what items are "can't miss" locations.

I plan on going as far south as Heceta Head, to get that lighthouse, weather permitting. I'm looking for things like bridges, overlooks and other scenic landscapes.

BTW - I am familiar with Cannon Beach, and know that a sunset shot there would be cool, but I don't plan on venturing that far north.

Bob,

Heceta Head is actually a bit north of Florence - about 6 miles, if i remember right. an easy visit, but best at sunset. farther north, Yaquina Head is worth a stop, as is the Devil's Punchbowl. Depoe Bay is a neat little town with a bridge where 101 passes over the harbor entrance. if you get a bit farther south, Cape Arago, near Coos Bay, is spectacular, if a bit hard to find. of course, there's the air museum at Tillamook, with a couple of dozen restored WWII aircraft...

Interesting suggestions, and Yaquina Head light looks like a good one to add to my list! I've seen the air museum before, and it's very nice. Not sure that I'll have time for a visit there this trip. Same for the Oregon Coast Aquarium, worth a visit I'm sure, but may not fit into my schedule.

Central Oregon Coast points of interest

Don't forget to take the Three Capes Drive road to see Cape Mears and Cape Lookout. If driving south, it starts at Tilamook. If Driving north it begins at Pacific City. I don't have any good photos online.

Here are some samples of some other spots:

Heceta Head Light House
3951590381_75e5c7e753.jpg

View South from Cape Perpetua - near Yachats
3952334660_1eb5cc70a5.jpg

View North from Cape Perpetua - looking at the town of Yachats
3951590147_3549dcdd35.jpg

Otter Rock - taken from Devil's Punchbowl
Take the Otter Rock Loop drive off 101
4648637642_6bafc8cfe5.jpg

Proposal Rock in Nescowin
just north of Lincoln City on 101
4570153350_889063f827.jpg

Nicely done Mike! Cape Mears is on my list, but with the recent damage to the light, I'm not sure how it will look. A distant photo, like the one you show, would probably be fine, but the classic hilltop view next to the light won't be as good as usual.

Gee Bob, your pictures looked great until the ones you took after dinner, then they got blurry, and tilted and... Wonder why that was? ;)

That's what autofocus and post processing are for! I don't see the problem... :)

cape kiwanda is a few minutes north of lincoln city. there are sea stacks, tide pools and sand dunes there. if you hike to the top of the sand dunes there are some long dead gray trees sticking through the sand. i bet the morning light would light 'em up real nice.

I'll second Pacific City/Cape Kiwanda. Lots of great stuff to photograph there Bob. Drop by the Pelican Pub for a good brew and meal too...

3432411002_af5d8f64d2_o.jpg

I had two favorite spots on that same stretch of Tillamook through Florence.

1) http://www.takemytrip.com/07orcal/07_05a.htm

That lighthouse, the agate beach and the wildlife there were great!!!

2) Another was a park that had water spouts where incoming tide shot water high against rocks and jetties that also has a big round sinkhole looking thing that is really fun to shoot.

I will try and find the names of the last two. Also, I have a gazillion photos from that coast trip and can't find them online anywhere. Rats. I will find a few and post when I find the name of that park.

EDITED TO ADD: It is CAPE PERPETUA with the Spouting Horn and Thor's Well.

Check out this of Thor's Well shot (I didn't do it).

And here is a web page collection of various photographers shots on THORS WELL.
. I wish I had used my tripod and an ND filter when I was there....I will the next time I go.

:0

Last edited:
Yaquina Head Light House

Bob,

Yaquina Head Light House is definitely worth a stop, it is in between Depoe Bay and Newport. There is also the Newport bridge... Have a fabulous trip!

Susan

All these great ideas!

With all these great ideas, how are you going to get everything in within two days? After all, there are only 2 sunsets - and at least a dozen spots where you want to be at sunset! Choices, choices... :):)

Have a great time.

cape kiwanda is a few minutes north of lincoln city. there are sea stacks, tide pools and sand dunes there. if you hike to the top of the sand dunes there are some long dead gray trees sticking through the sand. i bet the morning light would light 'em up real nice.

I see this has already been seconded, so Ill third. Pacific City, (Cape Kiwanda), has alot of photographic scenery to offer. I'm hoping to get down there one day when there is a strong minus tide to shoot the arches that are difficult to get a good view of otherwise. Just north of town there is an easily missed road with beach access, (you are allowed to drive on the beach there, 4WD or at least good ground clearance reccomended).

I see from another post that you'll be stopping by Canon Beach. Be sure and check out Ecola Park if it's not already on your list. Breath taking panaramic view from up there, and there are usually a few elk hanging around.

OK, brief post trip wrap-up...

Yep, my D300 doesn't like salt air. By the end of the trip I had obvious sensor spots. Not sure what to do to solve that, maybe take sensor swabs along next time and clean it nightly?

Shooting the coast can be frustrating at times. In the morning, at least this time of year, there's often thick fog and clouds, blocking what would be good light. Afternoons can be clearer, but now you're often shooting west, into the sun, if you're shooting the beach etc.

On to the specific suggestions offered:

> Heceta Head an easy visit, but best at sunset.

I totally agree with that one. Heceta was a goal for me, and I did enjoy it.

> farther north, Yaquina Head is worth a stop

Yes, very scenic location. Explore the trails around the lighthouse, including the one that climbs the hill behind the parking lot. Classic lighthouse, scenic views. I really liked this one.

Consider passing on the line to go up inside the lighthouse if it's long, as you only get a few moments at the top, and it's a challenge to get good photos there unless you've got a really wide angle lens.

> the Devil's Punchbowl.

That one was a total dud for me. Check the tides before you go, low tide is underwhelming. However, it's not far off the road and you can drive right to the edge, so it's an easy visit. Given more water, it would have been nice I suspect, and a good subject for hazy days.

> Depoe Bay is a neat little town with a bridge
> where 101 passes over the harbor entrance.

Yes, that was a nice town, and lots of photo opps there.

The sand dune area of Florence did look quite interesting, but I ran out of time and didn't get there except passing through. On a related note, Florence to Seattle is a long drive. Regretted doing that after a long day waiting for the clouds to clear.

Cape Perpetua was a wonderful view, though hazy the day I visited.

> Pacific City/Cape Kiwanda

Excellent location, lots of good stuff, though I didn't spend much time there.

> Be sure and check out Ecola Park if it's not already on
> your list. Breath taking panaramic view from up there...

That was on a my list, though I didn't know the name at the time (Had looked at it on Google earth, so I knew the location, but not the name.)

This was my one of my favorite spots from the trip. Good weather that day helped, but what an incredible view, and an easily recognizable location. Since you're out on a point, you can shoot east and get good light, instead of fighting the sun. I spent a couple hours there, and loved it. No elk, but it was mid-afternoon and too hot for them to be out and about.

Spouting Horn and Thor's Well.

Saw photos of this that looked incredible. As with the Devil's punchbowl, the tides are the key. Neither one of them was "working" when I visited due to low water levels. (Apparently there was a lower than normal tide that morning, lucky me... ;))

Unexpected bonus find of the trip, Newport Harbor after dark. Found it by chance since the moon was full and I was looking for a shot. I was lucky, and the water was very calm, and the results were quite nice. Went back the next morning and the harbor was OK but not nearly as pretty as at night.

Last edited:
A few more comments.

The weather is both predictable and wildly unpredictable. The predictable part is that during summer there will be clouds on the coast some part of the day just about every day. It was common to see this vertical wall of clouds that ended about a half mile inland. As I drove up the winding road to Cape Perpetua, the clouds gave way to gorgeous blue sky. Then the road turned back towards the ocean and I was back into the clouds again. How many clouds there are, and how thick they'll be is the unpredictable part. The weather changed from location to location and rapidly. Cape Mears was socked in and COLD and windy. Just a bit down the coast was blue sky and warmer.

Plan to be flexible, and have alternate destinations and ideas in mind.

The next time you go down around Tillamook, be sure you check out Munson Falls, I've been there a couple of times and it's definitely worth visiting. It's classed as the tallest natural waterfall in the Oregon Coast Range.
Here is a shot I took of it this past spring when the hubby and I went down for the day.
019.png

Munson Falls is located just off HWY 101 South of Tillamook, watch for the signs and you can't miss it.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back