Oregon Coast...

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

ront

We took a very fast trip to the Oregon Coast this last weekend. I did manage to get a few pictures while there. This was in the middle of the day, so not ideal lighting conditions, but it turned ok I thought.

Thanks for looking, Ron

DSC677012-X2.jpg

nice, Ron - i love the colors! looks like you had good weather, which is pretty hard to come by out there.

Thanks Rocky! It was a bit windy, but besides that, it was a beautiful day!

Here is a partial view of what the house at the top sees.

DSC674567-XL.jpg

Ron

Last edited:
now that is a gorgeous shot! and, of course, a beautiful view! i can only imagine how cool it would be to live where you can see that out your front window every day!

That would sure be tough wouldn't it Rocky!! Course, there are a few ugly days from up there also:).

Thanks again! Ron

Ront wrote: This was in the middle of the day, so not ideal lighting conditions, but it turned ok I thought.

This is not good lighting??, so middle of the day is really too much and too harsh light?
In my view I dont see the problem. Just sayin'

Ront wrote: This was in the middle of the day, so not ideal lighting conditions, but it turned ok I thought.

This is not good lighting??, so middle of the day is really too much and too harsh light?
In my view I dont see the problem. Just sayin'

It's not a question of too much and too harsh so much as a question of where the sun is located.

Let's look at these two (incredibly lousy) shots as an example:

View attachment 7029

View attachment 7030

In the first one, the "sun" is directly overhead. In the second, the light source is off to one side, as it would be in morning or afternoon light.

Which one gives a better feeling for the object's shape and has more interesting shadows?

Photography is two dimensional (with a few exceptions) and you need other clues to provide the third dimension. Light and shadow do a good job of that.

"Golden Hour"

Another element that makes mid-day less than ideal is the color of the sun's light. The atmosphere acts like a prism, bending different wavelengths of the sun's light different amounts. When the sun is low in the sky, it passes through the atmosphere at an angle that causes most of the blue wavelengths to be bounced back out to space. That's why evening/morning light seems warmer - more "golden" than than noontime light. And that's why photographers often use the term "golden hour".

More than you ever wanted to know! ;) It's the engineer in me - I just can't help myself. :D

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back