P-51 Mustang fly-free day...

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

squirl033

Super Moderator
Staff member
i was able to make room in my schedule today - too nice a day not to! - so i scooted over to the airfield to watch the P-51's fly. i'm not a huge fan of the Mustangs... there's just too many of 'em around for me to be that impressed - but they were fun to watch nonetheless. and it reminded me how out of practice i am at high-speed panning! :eek::( still, i did manage a few good shots... all with 40D and 100-400 @ various focal lengths and settings..

1589154562812.png
1589154578605.png
1589154598588.png
1589154613187.png
1589154635689.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Very impressive with the show of movement with the blur of the trees and the propellers. I say you have your panning down just fine. Judy

Well, looks like you knocked the rust off pretty quickly and honed your panning skills. In all of those shots, the planes are nice and sharp, and that's really all you can ask for in a pan shot.... Very nice, and like the colors too.

Nicely done. Can you check the exif to see what the shutter speeds were? These show a nice amount of motion in the props, much more pleasing than freezing them.

Nicely done. Can you check the exif to see what the shutter speeds were? These show a nice amount of motion in the props, much more pleasing than freezing them.

thanks, Tony... these were shot at speeds of 1/320-1/400, purposely to avoid "freezing" the props...

Very nice Rocky!! The cloud formations were better last time IMO, but either way we sure lucked out on the weather huh? I feel sorry for all those aviation fans in Bellingham today. The club hosting that event had a post that was somewhere along the lines of, 'It's raining, but there are so many great planes here.....'

I'm not as good at the pan blur as you, but I think I still got some keepers and yes, it was fun to be there. Of course I'm new to the aviation thing so the P-51 was really cool to see. Hope you don't mind me posting a few in your thread, it makes more sense than starting a new one.

1589154755001.png

1589154767047.png

1589154775185.png

Last edited by a moderator:
i got some pretty similar formation shots as well - sure looks nice against that deep blue sky!

IMG_3001sm.jpg

Last edited:
Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back