Pileated Woodpecker

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

Pileated Woodpecker came around the backyard multiple times today, checking out rotting logs on the ground and sampling several different suet feeders.

Attachments

• 2014-03-08_13-39-01__MG_2232_(C)DebbieLynneChally2014.jpg
    2014-03-08_13-39-01__MG_2232_(C)DebbieLynneChally2014.jpg
    153 KB · Views: 276
wow, this is a great shot, Debbie! i see like this on various forums, and people tell me these guys are around, but i have yet to get close enough to one to even attempt a shot!

Thank you Rocky,

Prior to yesterday I have only seen a pileated woodpecker in my garden on three other occasions. He was back today- early this morning and multiple times in the afternoon. When he leaves he spends time scaling one of the huge Douglas Firs next door.
I also saw a hawk hanging out on the dome above the suet feeder late this afternoon. First sighting in the garden this winter. Cooper's or Sharp-shinned, latter most likely as it seemed rather small compared to our past visitors.

Prior to yesterday I have only seen a pileated woodpecker in my garden on three other occasions. He was back today- early this morning and multiple times in the afternoon. When he leaves he spends time scaling one of the huge Douglas Firs next door.
I also saw a hawk hanging out on the dome above the suet feeder late this afternoon. First sighting in the garden this winter. Cooper's or Sharp-shinned, latter most likely as it seemed rather small compared to our past visitors.

Great shot, Debbie. You have an amazing variety of birds at your feeders. You need to start a continuous thread titled My Backyard Birds to post up and narrate shots of the various birds which come to your feeders throughout the year. :)

I am sure our members would love to see the photos of the Townsend warblers visiting your feeder that you showed me last week. All I have been getting at my feeders are the everyday juncos and house finches, which aren't worth photographing. :mad:

Last edited:
Pileated Pair!

Today the Pileated Woodpecker returned and introduced his mate to our garden! I missed capturing the pair together but here are a few of the female.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    225.4 KB · Views: 248
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    180.5 KB · Views: 229
Beautiful shots! I had a pair who frequented my suet feeders at my old house, I miss them. It is great to see yours up close :)

Great shots. I often see Pilieateds but have yet to capture one up close and personal.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back