Ravens at Scenic, WA

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

Jason Babila

I finally got a few shots of these two camera shy ravens, everytime I tried to get a few shots of these birds they just fly away when I grab my camera.
There are four ravens, two adults and two younger ones, the one on the coupler is the adult female and the other on the rail is the male adult.

Yes they are, funny thing is that they know me well because everytime i'm up at where they are, they will fly in up close and I'll throw them some nuts and potato chips.
They won't bother the other guys because they know they won't get anything from them.

They are incredibly brilliant birds and hard to photograph.

Last edited:
Cool shots Jason,

Were these taken on Wednesday? My brother and I were up on the pass railfanning then. Saw a few hyrails heading west at the Bonneville cut.

Black birds in bright sun are tough to shoot and get details in.
I forgot which camera you have (I seem to remember it's not a DSLR), but try some exposure compensation when shooting mostly blacks (or whites) to get more details in. If you can, manually focus as blacks also make it tough for auto focus to lock on.

Is it just me or does there seem to be alot more crows and ravens around the area than there were years ago?

Interesting flatcar the crow is perched on. Looks like it's been around a while, I'm guessing it's in MOW service, based on the paint?

Reed, It was taken on Tuesday around 11am, what you saw was probably the signal maintainer, section, and possibly the track inspector since they were up there a couple of days, on Wednesday, we were further west between Sultan and Monroe, you might have noticed the slot train in Sultan.
Cool shots Jason,

Were these taken on Wednesday? My brother and I were up on the pass railfanning then. Saw a few hyrails heading west at the Bonneville cut.

Tony, I have the Canon SX20is, I know what you mean on how hard it is to shoot black or white in bright sunlight, I had my camera set on auto focus and the sun angle wasn't working in my favor when I took those shots, I am still learning on exposures and adjusting the different speeds on film and shutter.
Next time, i'll try the manual focus and see what happens, as for the crows and ravens up at Scenic, I did not see a single crow up there with the four ravens, I do see crows further west and east away from Scenic.
Black birds in bright sun are tough to shoot and get details in.
I forgot which camera you have (I seem to remember it's not a DSLR), but try some exposure compensation when shooting mostly blacks (or whites) to get more details in. If you can, manually focus as blacks also make it tough for auto focus to lock on.

Is it just me or does there seem to be alot more crows and ravens around the area than there were years ago?

Bob,that flat car has the scaffolding on it for tunnel work and it is used by, MOW, structures, telecom, and signal, it is only used when there is tunnel work therefore it is was parked in the 2nd ave yard most of the time, structures are working in the tunnel painting over the scrape marks up on the ceiling notches, at first they painted the verticle part of the notches yelllow but they decided to use black instead.
Interesting flatcar the crow is perched on. Looks like it's been around a while, I'm guessing it's in MOW service, based on the paint?

Last edited:
Reed, It was taken on Tuesday around 11am, what you saw was probably the signal maintainer, section, and possibly the track inspector since they were up there a couple of days, on Wednesday, we were further west between Sultan and Monroe, you might have noticed the slot train in Sultan.

Yeah, we saw a work train head west on Wednesday, I think they stopped at Gold Bar with two Geeps and four ballast cars. Also saw the slot machine at Sultan on the way out.

The work train you saw was the W INBINB2, they went to Miller creek to pick up the loaded ballast cars, the other work train that is up in the area has three geeps on the rail train that was in Gold Bar.

We stashed the slot train in Monroe that day to load up more under cutter ballast near Monroe and took it up to east Baring on Thur.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back