RE: Wildlife of Edmonds

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

Mike-PDX

Bill,

I've been enjoying your thread on your Edmonds birding adventures. But I'm having a problem with the way the forum software handles this long thread. Right now your thread is running 16-17 pages long, and it's getting harder and harder to read. No matter what method I try to view the most recent entry, the forum software seems to insist on downloading all the images for the entire thread each time. So I start to read your latest entry only to have it scroll off the screen while all the previous images are downloaded. Even switching to threaded mode only partially works because not everyone uses threaded mode in their replies.

Might I humbly suggest that you break up your post into, say, weekly threads? That would keep each one to a manageable length. And I don't think anyone would object to one new thread each week.

Just my $.02 - thanks,
-Mike

Last edited:
No matter what method I try to view the most recent entry, the forum software seems to insist on downloading all the images for the entire thread each time. So I start to read your latest entry only to have it scroll off the screen while all the previous images are downloaded.

I just click "Last>>" and it takes me to the most recent page, no problems.

Even the pages chalk full of pictures on the thread have no problems loading here.

It's not lag on your end, Mike?

Yeah, the thread has a lot of pages with lots of great pictures. I try and play In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida on the stereo in the background when I want to review the whole thread. The photos load up nicely! :p

Last edited:
It very well could be lag on my end. I still believe a thread this large is a bit unmanageable. I used to like In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida, maybe I'll just switch to threaded view and forget about it. :rolleyes:

I don't know a lot about computers or interwebz. Perhaps it is the type of internet service you have.

Here is what I do to look at the thread. I go from the home page --> forums, then scroll down the list of forums to "Wildlife and Animals". I click on the last little box (today it is "17") after the title "Wildlife of Edmonds", which takes me directly and quickly to the last page with no waiting for the downloading of all the previous photos. I should add that I only use a desk top computer, not a laptop or mobile device.

I am open to suggestions. I post to a single thread so as not to spam the entire Wildlife and Animals forum.

Well it may just boil down to a difference in reading styles. I tend to click on active topics and then view the ones that have been updated since I last looked. That way I don't have to scroll through all the forums searching for what has changed.

BTW, I don't really think a new post each week would be considered spamming. Just IMHO of course.

Mike, are you going to the last page in the thread? How many posts are on each page?

So here's the deal. I think it's set to display 10 posts per page. If you're seeing more than 10 per page, let me know and I'll check your settings.

Once we've reached 10 posts, a new page starts. So it should never be longer than 10 posts. You can navigate by clicking page numbers, no need to start at the beginning of the thread.

Because of that, whether it's 2 pages or 20, the experience should be the same, click on a page and load that page.

I also find the scrolling as the pictures load annoying, but so far I haven't found a solution.

No problem. This is just a difference in the way we use the system.

I have switched back to hybrid view which lets me navigate to the last page. That works as long as I don't want to look at messages further up the chain. I had switched away from it before because it didn't easily let me find all the new comments since the last time I looked at a thread.

BTW, Bob, I have been getting frequent forum crashes when trying to reply or start a new thread. It just stops responding - locks up. And IE 9 has to recover the web page, generally at a point just before I started typing any text. I wonder if it is related to the "auto save" feature. Is that unique to me? Or are others having a problem, too?

Actually, it just crashed as I was typing that last reply. I ended up typing it offline and pasting it into the message.

Mike, that's a know, and extremely annoying issue.

The new forum software HATES IE9. They do NOT play well together. Use Firefox, Chrome, Mozilla and you'll have no problems. Use IE9 and if you don't type your reply in under about 20 seconds, it will crash pretty much every time.

I'm going to be moving to a new server in the next month or so. I'm hoping it will fix the issue, but not optimistic. I've been in contact with Vbulletin many times, no luck. I've tried a variety of solutions, including temporarily disabling the auto-save as well as disabling many of the "Ajax" features, which helped, but didn't cure the issue.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back