Red-Tailed Hawk

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

Deka

Up....
#4886.jpg
And AT ME!!!
#4887.jpg
I must have been very interesting to look at because I was flown by a couple of times.
As an aside - I'm still learning my new lens so I'm sorry for the shot being OOF. :(

Deka

Good shots. I wonder if it had a nest nearby. Redtails are very shy and will usually fly off to the next telephone pole down the road as you approach.

I'm fairly sure that there is a mated pair. I've not been able to locate a nest but that does not mean it is not in the area.
There is some activity in the area (a cemetery) but it does have a water source, large evergreen and deciduous trees, open fields and lots of wild life.
I'm thinking they have a very nice territory except for the occasional crowd of folks.
Thank you for the 'good shots', Bill. I've enjoyed your photographs for some time and am in the process of learning to be better than I currently am.
Next time I go, I'm going to try to use shutter priority to see if I can get some better shots.
Deka

Thank you for the tip!
Being new to my camera (T4i) and lens (Tamron 150-600mm), I have to admit I'm a little lost.
I enjoy nature's treasures and hope to learn how to capture them so others can enjoy them as well.

Deka

Digital cameras make for fast learning curves with instant feed back and no film to buy and be developed.

Very true, but....the learning curve for me is not so fast. LOL
Limited time (weekends) to experiment and I'm a bit overwhelmed with all of the options available.
The one thing I have the most trouble with is the screen on the camera. Lighting really influences what I see on the screen. I think I need a darkroom for my camera when I'm in the field. LOL I've tried a hat to shade the screen but when I upload the images, I am disappointed with what I see.
A very long time ago, I was into photography but the film/developing cost cause me to lose interest. Now I'm trying to play catchup with the digital age. LOL
It has been an interesting trip.
Deka

Shameless Plug

Speaking of learning how to photograph birds, nationally known photographer and author Paul Bannick (The Owl and The Woodpecker) will be teaching two avian photography classes (beginning and advanced) at the 2014 Puget Sound Bird Fest in Edmonds. Our own Joe Meche will be teaching a class in digiscoping photography.

Admission is free. The final schedule will be posted on the website next month.
http://www.pugetsoundbirdfest.com

Last edited:
Bird Fest sounds like it would be very worth while!
I'm going to put it into my weekend schedule. Thank you for the website.
I love Joe's digiscope shots. Who would have thought to put a spotting scope and a digi camera together to capture images! Very inventive.
I'm actually temped to try it myself with my old digi and scope. LOL
Thank you for .... well..... everything! :>)

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back