Ridgefield 11-23-16

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Wednesday my son and I stopped at the Ridgefield National Wildlife Refuge on our way to PDX to spend Thanksgiving with relatives. It was not raining as we made the loop, but it was very dark and gloomy. Most of these photos were taken from my car with the 5DIII + 100-400L II telephoto zoom as you are not allowed to leave your vehicle this time of year except for the area around the blind.

Nutria are prevalent at Ridgefield. This large rodent was originally imported from South America for its fur and meat, but has since become a pest in North America. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coypu
IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

I think this is a female ring-necked duck.
IMG_0004.jpg

Last edited:
Swans were the most prominent bird.
IMG_0005.jpg

Looking east from the blind. The road circles the lake.
IMG_0006.jpg

Looking back west across the lake towards the blind. Taken from the road seen in the photo above.
IMG_0007.jpg

The blind is visible in the background.
IMG_0008.jpg

IMG_0009.jpg

Last edited:
It was very dark when these last photos were taken.

I usually see at least one female northern harrier at Ridgefield.
IMG_0015.jpg

IMG_0014.jpg

This time I saw a male in a field beside the road.
IMG_0013.jpg

Last edited:
Concluding the visit with a variation of an old joke: "Why did the geese cross the road?"
IMG_0016.jpg

IMG_0017.jpg

IMG_0018.jpg

IMG_0019.jpg

Last edited:
I think these are red-tailed hawks. Other than the photos of the harriers, I didn't get any good raptor shots. The photos are not good as I had to crank up the positive exposure compensation plus the difficulty of shooting between branches when you cannot get out of your car. :(

IMG_0020.jpg

IMG_0021.jpg

Last edited:
Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back