ruby-crowned kinglet

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

squirl033

Super Moderator
Staff member
normally these little guys are kinda like pinballs on steroids... they bounce around so quickly that they're usually gone before the AF locks on. the problem is compounded by the fact that they're not much bigger than my thumb! in spite of that, i managed some shots of this little fella today at Howarth Park in Everett... 7D, 100-400L @ 400mm, 1/640 - 1/800 @ f/6.3...

IMG_8254cropsm_zpsc4ea6fb3.jpg

IMG_8260cropsm_zpsdeac28d1.jpg

what a beautiful little bird.. ! sounds like they are hard to photograph

They are very difficult to photograph as they seldom sit still or come out into the open. When one finally rests out in the open, it is too close to you for your telephoto lens to focus. :mad:

The odds are a little better in winter after the leaves have fallen. We will be losing that window of opportunity very soon as the trees and bushes are starting to bud.

Last edited:
They are very difficult to photograph as they seldom sit still or come out into the open. When one finally rests out in the open, it is too close to you for your telephoto lens to focus. :mad:

The odds are a little better in winter after the leaves have fallen. We will be losing that window of opportunity very soon as the trees and bushes are starting to bud.

i was fortunate that this one was far enough away - 20-25 feet - that my lens had no trouble focusing. i've actually never been "too close" to one of these little fellas... and they'll be moving on soon. they spend time in the lowlands in the winter and early spring, but will soon be moving north, or up into the mountains, for breeding season...

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back