Seattle Full Moon

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

Figuring that photographing the moon in less than optimal light and location, was better than not seeing it all (likely the case for Monday and Tuesday), I headed to Manchester, across the Sound from Seattle.

I arrived a little later than planned, as I was delayed herding a wayward sheep back to his place of residence. At 3:55, a minute after Moonrise according to the Photographer's Ephemeris, I was set up and looking for the moon. I was concentrating a little to far north and finally caught the faint image about two moons high above the Cascade mountains, just north Alki Point at 4:10 pm. This matches nearly perfectly with P.E.'s prediction. With one caveat. P.E.'s time was off by an hour, as it didn't take into account Daylight Savings time, despite indicating that it would.

1) Taken at 4:10.

2) Taken at 4:20, it was the best combination of brightness and height. The moon is just above a point south of Alki Point. Compare to what P.E. predicted in image #3.

4) The Walla Walla on it's way to Seattle from Bremerton.

5) The sunset reflecting off the windows of the buildings in downtown Seattle.

One more. Even with SeaTac airport nearby, this was a lot harder than I thought it would be. After tracking an aircraft and realizing it would cross in front of the moon, it turned out not be a jet, or even a seaplane, just a little helicopter. Cool nonetheless.

Great photos. I was particularly interested in the Photographer's Ephemeris you refered to and pictured in the story behind the shot. I had not seen this before and so followed it with a google search. Awesome tool for planning those shooting times, especially in an unfamiliar area. This may be old news to many of you here, but to those like myself, follow this link to download for free. http://stephentrainor.com/tools [/URL]

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back