Serious Eagle Action at Edmonds Marina Park

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

Terry O

Given the promising light, I decided to make an earlier than usual visit to Marina Park in the hopes of seeing some kind of eagle action. It was super cold, but worth a couple of hours of waiting. Out of the two or three hours, there was about 15 minutes of action. I had the Canon 7D and 500mm f4L +1.4 extender, tripod mounted, of course. Great practice for me being attached to a tripod for in-flight shots :)

When I arrived the juvie was perched on the piling near the beach - he/she just sat there for seemingly ages
2-6-2014 juvie edmonds marina beach_9370.JPG

It finally looked like it was going to fly, which got our attention
2-6-2014 juvie edmonds marina beach_9381.JPG

The reason showed up :)
2-6-2014 juvie and adult edmonds marina beach_9391.JPG

2-6-2014 juvie and adult edmonds marina beach_9392.JPG

The juvie decided to move, but didn't give up right away
2-6-2014 juvie edmonds marina beach_9398.JPG

Last edited:
The saga continues:

Undaunted, the Juvie tries again to steal the fish
2-6-2014 juvie over marina breach_9438.JPG

2-6-2014 juvie and adult edmonds marina beach_9451.JPG

But the adult will have none of it!
2-6-2014 adult edmonds marina beach_9453.JPG

He tries again!
2-6-2014 juvie over marina breach_9462.JPG

2-6-2014 juvie and adult edmonds marina beach_9474.JPG

Terry gave me a sneak preview of these photos over coffee at the marina. I was so humbled that I retreated back home and made no attempts to photograph birds the rest of the day. :mad:

This is all part of Terry's psychological scheme to get me to buy that used 600L telephoto lens. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
wow! these are great, Terry! right place, right time, for sure! you got some really good action shots here... i'm green!!

I was talking with one of the Marina Park regulars today. A group of 3-4 juvies have formed an eagle street gang and were attacking the adults to steal their fish when they would perch on the piling. The adults retaliated by tag teaming the juvies. I just missed getting photos of the two adults going after a juvie perched on a tree. Maybe Terry has photos of the action.

No, I think I left just before that action, Bill. I did get some reasonable in-flight shots, but I missed out on the eagle street gang shots. Tomorrow is another day - its worth hanging out there given the level of activity, provided you can stand the cold!!!! :) BTW, have you ordered your 600 f4L yet??

BTW, thanks for your kind comments, and thanks Rocky, 'jetmember' and Jeremy for your much appreciated comments!

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back