snipe hunting

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

squirl033

Super Moderator
Staff member
so this afternoon, i went up to Kirkland to Juanita Bay Park to see if i could get some pics. as usual, the place didn't disappoint... found some Wilson's Snipe hiding in the reeds - those little fellas are really tough to spot unless they move! 40D, 400mm, 1/500 @ f/8....

IMG_5715sm.jpg

IMG_5709sm.jpg

Fantastic shots. I especially like the first one . . . the colors all go together very well and you show a little of the surroundings they they live in . . .

Fantastic shots. I especially like the first one . . . the colors all go together very well and you show a little of the surroundings they they live in . . .

thanks, guys... here's a zoomed out shot showing how well the y blend in with their surroundings... if they're hunkered down in the reeds and not moving, they're practically invisible...

IMG_5765SM.jpg

Awesome, Rocky!

A few years back, a good friend of mine was working a snipe survey in the Fern Ridge Wildlife Area. They mist-netted a few and attached radio transmitters. I was lucky enough to venture out there with him a few times and catch a few of those guys scurrying along the flats.

Great shots! I especially like number 1. The horizontal crop plays well to the "hidden" thing.

Thanks for sharing these. So cool!

Great shots, Rocky, very cool!

Won't the ladies be surprise when you invite them to go Snipe hunting and then actually find a Snipe!

LOL! yeah, there was some gal at the park with binoculars, obviously a birder, who told me there were some out on a small island about 30 yards from shore. she probably thought i didn't know where to look for them. i pointed out the ones hiding in the reeds 20 feet from the platform, that she hadn't seen... ;)

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back