Snow Day at the Refuge

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

JaniceL

Super Moderator
Staff member
I had to drive to Longview today so I thought I'd check out the Ridgefield National Wildlife Refuge. It was closed all weekend and they freshly plowed it either yesterday or today. It was one of those special days when nobody was there. The ponds, wetlands and canals were pretty much frozen so the waterfowl was mostly limited to coots and a few species of ducks. There were lots of eagles of different ages. And the weather was perfect a natural softbox. Here are a few of my shots.

The cold snow and warmer air formed a love curtain of fog.
Fog 2.jpg

The Bald Eagles were walking on frozen wetlands normally reserved for the swans and geese.
Double Eagle.jpg

Most were perched on trees.
fog3.jpg

Adult and Juvenile Eagle.jpg

Imature Bald Eagle.jpg

Last edited:
I saw plenty of coots. One just like this one was later snatched up by an eagle just out of reach of my lens.
Coot.jpg

Of course there were herons. Who can go to the refuge without catching one of those.
Cool Heron.jpg

And I always love a glimpse of some the other residents. I was hoping for otters, but these raccoons will do just fine.
3 Amigos.jpg

Then it was time for me to hit the road and go home.
Fog 1.jpg

great series, Janice! love the cold, wintry feel and the high-key look of some of these... that heron does indeed look like it's wrapped up in a cloak to stay warm... good work!

Super photos! I really like the softness of the images, the diffusion of light, the muted colors, etc. Really good stuff!!

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back