starry, starry night...

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

squirl033

Super Moderator
Staff member
not the Van Gogh, just a couple of my first attempts at night sky photography, taken last weekend at my campsite along the Tieton River over in eastern Washington. shot with my 40D and Tamron SP17-35 @ 17mm, 30 sec at f/2.8, ISO 1600...

IMG_0723sm_filtered.jpg

IMG_0726sm_filtered.jpg

sorry to offer advice when it wasn't asked for but my first results with the 40d at 1600 iso were similar. when i dropped the iso down to 800-1000 and shot for 20 seconds things got better. I had less noise and more color in the sky along with brighter, more contrasty stars, and with the shorter shutter speed the stars didn't move as much. of course i was also shooting at 11mm which helps.

sorry to offer advice when it wasn't asked for but my first results with the 40d at 1600 iso were similar. when i dropped the iso down to 800-1000 and shot for 20 seconds things got better. I had less noise and more color in the sky along with brighter, more contrasty stars, and with the shorter shutter speed the stars didn't move as much. of course i was also shooting at 11mm which helps.

thanks for the tips, Brian! i'll definitely try that next time i get a chance...

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back