Stylin' cedar waxwing

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

squirl033

Super Moderator
Staff member
Either this waxwing was experimenting with a new "up-do", or I scared the daylights out of him... not sure which! LOL!

BobH

Administrator
Staff member
Can they control their crest? Cockatiels, a common pet bird, can control the feathers on top of their hear. If that was a Cockatiel, that would be the "See how big and tough I am?" look. They make themselves look larger by lifting up those feathers. I wonder if waxwings do the same thing?

squirl033

Super Moderator
Staff member
Can they control their crest? Cockatiels, a common pet bird, can control the feathers on top of their hear. If that was a Cockatiel, that would be the "See how big and tough I am?" look. They make themselves look larger by lifting up those feathers. I wonder if waxwings do the same thing?
They can control the crest to a degree... the dirty little secret here is that the wind was coming from behind him. making his crest stand up even straighter than normal... ;)

Terry O

My guess is that they can control their crest - ruby-crowned and golden-crowned kinglets certainly do :)

Possibly my favorite bird, Rocky. And love the shot!

Terry

squirl033

Super Moderator
Staff member
My guess is that they can control their crest - ruby-crowned and golden-crowned kinglets certainly do :)
Possibly my favorite bird, Rocky. And love the shot!
Terry
Thanks, Terry! Yup, they do have some control over their crest, like most birds who have crests. This one got a bit of an assist from a breeze... ;)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com